Death of a Forum Topic - What next for SA?

a place to talk about Warhammer Fantasy

Death of a Forum Topic - What next for SA?

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:18 am

So I've noticed that this topic (specifically fantasy) has gone extremely quiet. No comments for almost 3 weeks. I've noticed it across all fantasy boards, almost no activity anymore.

So whats the next step for everybody. It's clear as day that worldwide the fantasy community is horribly fractured, with some sticking to 8th ed, some trying the new 9th community developed version, some doing what they're told and playing AoS and some moving to KoW and other systems.

I think this is pretty much the case here too. Us in Port Elizabeth have completely swapped to KoW with no one playing 8th, 9th or AoS.

Seems like KoW may gain some ground in Gautang and with the ITF tournament coming up, we may see some more keys being thrown into the bowl.

Whats Cape Town doing? In fact whats the general feeling/direction country wide?

Are you in the

1) screw GeeDub I want something different group
2) GeeDub did wrong, but maybe they'll do an about face and say and Karl Franz woke up and it was all just a dream camp, and basically hold out for a new version from them, play community stuff in the interim or
3) AoS rocks my socks. I hope it stays for ever. Can 't believe it took them this long to bring Space Marines into WHFB.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Re: Death of a Forum Topic - What next for SA?

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:19 am

I see a ton of fantasy stuff going up all the time for sale, so I guess there should be a
4) RAGE QUIT
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:20 am

I'm in choice number GH

I don't want to waste money on any more [removed]. I also don't want to play tournaments or dooses either. I'm keeping the stuff I already bought and will continue using it and playing whatever else seems like fun.

My motto is I don't really care.
I have this disease called "Awesome".
You wouldn't understand because you don't have it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Ginga » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:58 am

In CT at least 6 of the old gaurd have moved over to WM/H, some of the younger guys are trying Furions Warhammer for the next Regionals. As for AoS to my knowledge nobody is playing that poo down here.

Ginga
Perceived Evidence ........... dit ook maak my holhare taai!
Ginga
Grumpy old man 2011

Postby Andre Muller » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am

Read the Cape Carnage PLOG! We'll play furion rules for the next 12 months and then probably look at warthrone.

AOS is a load of bollocks...
Andre Muller
major

Postby Danie Smit » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:47 am

I'm loving AoS but wont bother with the current negative community. just currently looking for people who actually want to play the game, found at least 4 players who enjoys the game already. gonna start a mini league soon for anyone else who is interested but wont be actually actively promote it. especially on here.
'SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE' he shouted, trembling with rage.
'SETTRA RULES'
Danie Smit
general

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:50 am

It's not our cup of tea down here but each to their own. At least we all gave it a go down here which is more than can be said for a lot of people world wide.

Is anyone playing KoW in the West Cape? I know there is a bit of support up North.

Is
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby und_ed » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 am

I walked away from WH about 8 months before AoS, just gatvol of all the "random = fun" garbage that had been shoe-horned into what used to be a great strategic and tactical game.

AoS really sounded a death-knell for Warzone's fantasy community, with players spreading out between WM/H, MtG, star wars and others. We haven't had much interest in moving to the alternatives (Warthrone or KoW) of late, although we're hoping for some renewed interest post-Warcon.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Loud MOFO » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:04 am

I don't check other forums or chat rooms, but what is the feel in other countries about what GW did to fantasy? Are they happy for the change or are they like us and selling like crazy.

Next question is, how long will GW take to relies that people aren't buying there stuff any more?

Also, i haven't seen or heard of anybody playing AOS in cape town, so is it just SA or has this hit everybody?
Loud MOFO
colonel

Postby Doc Rot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 am

My group back home, the majority switched to Kow. Some haven't and have rage quit. 1 likes AoS and tries in vain to get a game each week.

I know the tomb kings forum is split and the Bretonnian one has pretty much shut down with a big fracture there as well.

It seems to have fractured most communities. But yes. The whole random thing = fun really did used to get my goat. The tactical nature of KoW is what has sold us on it.
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 am

On the plus side of things, I can honestly say that NO edition of warhammer wasn't without serious design flaws. Hell, they sold us multiple copies of the same product for many years that way.

Anyway, in times of crisis like this I just remember the simple fact that nobody gives a crap, and then neither do I and things are fine again.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Alqualonde » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 am

I must admit that I seem to have turned away from GW systems entirely, though not consciously. I've switched from painting my Harlequins to my French Napoleonics (and trying hard to corrupt everyone I know to get a Napoleonic army). I visit BoLS / GW once a month if that and mainly because I want to see if GW has launched a big paint set for Christmas yet - not to buy minis.

That said I have a 40k game this evening at Warzone. Hopefully I remember the rules.

Globally the rumour is that 40K fantasy is doing well in the US, but I'm a bit Manuel like in that regard.
Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Postby DaImp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 pm

I am very keen on KoW and there are a bunch of players who have taken it up in JHB. In my experience AoS is deader than a dodo - I know Danie is keeping it alive (more power to the man) but in my experience there is almost no one playing after the initial experiments to give it a go. It seems that all the Warhammer players have had enough and moved onto different systems. In time I do think a front running system will emerge and fantasy players will begin to play again, but for now there is a lot of bad blood and people are simply fed up and needing a break
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:45 pm

I have lost interest in Fantasy pretty much completely. For me that is more because there is no real player base anymore more than anything else. I am happy to try new systems, carry on playing 8th Ed or try modified 9th ed but since there really is nobody else playing and I have a great alternative I just focus on that. I'll still play it on the occasional Saturday night but no more than that.

I'll dust off my stuff eventually and play some games but for now I'll stick to warmachine which is supported by the company that made it (very well BTW) and has a critical mass of players.
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:28 am

You guys do indeed bring up a good point. I'll make a new thread for it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Return to Warhammer Fantasy chat