Warhammer 40k Nationals - REPORT

Any talk around non-club specific tournaments

Warhammer 40k Nationals - REPORT

Postby Brindley U » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:22 am

So, congrats to Marco who I believe won.

Care to share the details!?

How was it?

Looks like Jozi cleaned up this year!!
Brindley U
colonel

Re: Warhammer 40k Nationals - REPORT

Postby plxvandyk » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:44 pm

My army and results are below:
Peter van Dyk - IG/IG/Grey Knights
IG cadian CP battalion - 3x squads infantry (missile launcher each), 2x commanders, Pask in normal battle tank
IG Catachan supreme command - 2x psykers, 1x Harker, 1x Rambo, Shadowsword with extra sponsons
GK supreme command - 3x grand master in dreadknight, sword, gatling psilencer, deepstrike.

Game 1: vs Elrico and his Yvraine Ynnari/Eldar
Went second
Things of Note: He had a huge blob of dark reapers and 3 fire prisms to kill tanks - my shadowsword sweated bullets for the first round! But in so saying, Elrico took some bad luck in his shooting in his stride when all those guns failed to kill either Pask OR the shadowsword. Then Rambo showed up and immediately blew up 5 dark reapers with his booby-trap ability. First blood came down to the shadowsword boosting up the table and running over a unit of rangers (woohoo! go shadowsword!)

End Result: 39:12 to me

Game 2: vs Dylan Smith and his Yvraine Ynnari/Eldar/Dark Eldar
Went second
My own fault for struggling here - I took down a wave serpent filled with fire dragons next to my shadowsword and forgot to cast his protective spells on him - meant I lost the shadowsword cheaply and, without that firepower as backup I got rolled up. Pretty generic back-foot game though; nothing spectacular happened... I had a dreadknight shrug off the shooting from a unit of wraithguard and charge them in return, killing 5 of the 6 in the unit :) that was likely the best result on my side.

End Result: 1:11 to Dylan

Game 3: vs Andrew and his Knights/Custodes
Went second
Yes! a game vs. knights - let's see how my big volcano cannon does against a castellan with a small volcano cannon! He rolled a 1 for first turn... good start. I rolled a 1 and went second. Bad follow-through!
Unsurprisingly, the knights shot the snot out of the shadowsword right off the bat (despite having -1 to hit it for a mission rule).
So, back foot for the remainder of the game - managed to kill 1 knight, 2 shield captains and seriously injure the big knight though - so not too bad a result in the end. I just didn't have the mobility to go get the objectives I needed however, so lost out on a few points when I got the chance. In andrew's defence he was a super-gracious and fun opponent to play against, and this was probably my favourite game of the weekend.
Notably, there was one knight that couldn't protect itself from lasgun fire... he took 4 wounds from lasguns in the game.
Otherwise, the 'big knight of death' (tm) got engaged in a fist-fight with a dreadknight and the dreadknight managed to shrug off an entire round of combat on its invulnerable save; dealing 13 wounds in reply, followed by another 6 the next turn.
In all, the dreadknights were SUPER tanky in this, pulling their weight incredibly well.

End Result: 10:15 to Andrew

Game 4: vs Burt and his Ravenguard/Sisters/Deathwatch
Went second (seized against) (sigh - sensing a pattern here)
Burt brought a nice ravenguard army centred around a deathwach storm-bolter deepstrike blob, celestine and a 2 big grav-cannon firebase units in a flyer - then a c-beam dread in the back lines to harry and annoy.
I got a bit unlucky in losing the entire shadowsword in one round of shooting from the grav cannon mob (made up for this by killing both Celestines cronies AND injuring her with its mortal wounds explosion :) ); especially after I failed to kill a pile of them with the volcano cannon the previous round (3d3 shots = 3; re-roll... 3 again... sigh). The dreadknights did ok for themselves, being the only things able to score ANY points.
Burts unit of deathwatch get man of the match here - they landed in my lines and killed 4 individual characters, in cover, with their shooting, doing exactly the correct number of wounds to kill every character in the end :)
Good game - that c-beam dreadnought is amazingly effective at popping whole units of infantry and also threatening big things.

End Result: 15:24 to Burt

Game 5: vs Victor and his Khorne Daemon/Slaanesh Chaos
Went second (seized against) (ffs - no more building armies that benefit/suffer from going/not going first!)
Victor got unlucky here - my list had everything required to pretty much erase his list.
He used a huge mob of 40 cutists with FNP to get in my face here on turn 1 and killed all but 1 unit of infantry, assaulting pask to boot and tying him up. The response was for the shadowsword to use Vengeance-for-cadia (VFC) (1cp stratagem) to get re-rolls to hit and wound and immediately badly injure his defiler (which got lucky and shrugged off the 4 volcano cannon wounds on his invulnerable save), killing a unit of cultists as well - then which charged the mob and killed another 5.
Next round, VFC killed pretty much the whole mob of cultists, the remainder of the defiler and slagged Skarbrand for 33 wounds of damage.
At the same time, the dreadknights came in and killed a daemon prince warlord with smite and 10 bloodletters.
3rd round saw another daemon prince go down to the grey knights, at the cost of one dreadknight to an assault by 30 bloodletters. VFC proceeded to kill 2 characters and a unit of obliterators.
4th round was mop-up... he had nothing left. VFC is crazily good when used on a lord-of-war - close to being broken in fact.
The shaodwsword (and VFC) got the man-of-the-match here as they really just ate unit after unit with no possible response.

End Result: 24:10 to me

In all, it was a good tournament; I enjoyed my army, though found it does suffer a lot if there's big firepower on the other side of the board and it goes second, usually resulting in a dead shadowsword and/or Pask in turn 1 without firing a shot.
The grey knight grandmasters are tanky as all heck; super-hard to shift. Against daemons their modified smite is just deadly.
plxvandyk
captain

Postby AndrewS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks Pete - much appreciated, it was a fun game (although I always feel guilty and happy killing big things turn one, as I know its not fun for the opponent but needed for me to survive...) Those damn dread knights gave he massive headaches!! Man they were good.

As Pete said, I had:
3 x shield captain
2 x Crusader (Big Melta and Gatling)
1 x Castellan (Relic Plasma)
Taranis (6+ FNP non-mortal wounds) - Mechanicus
10 CP 1998 pnts

G1 - vs Brett Holmes from PE - he Played Chaos Dreadnoughts of all flavors. 8 machines a prince and captain if I remember.
win 20-0

This list kind of terrified me as he had mortal wounds and 5 damage guns vs titanic and rockets... so I know that 1st turn was critical.... He won the roll.... I rolled the seize dice and couldn't see the result but by Brett and a spectators reaction I knew it was a 6 :clap:
I managed to get 2 killed (Mortal Wound guys) and 1 half stats (Leviathan) turn 1. He got my one knight down to 2 wounds. Luckily Mechanicus cares not... Chaos frowned hard the next turn as the Imperium brought righteous fire upon them... Plus a shield captains ended one dread... then incredibly a volcano canon killed the prince in overwatch. Also to be fair Brett had the worst luck, with no missiles hitting turn one and only 1 wounding on turn 2.... Also as it was maelstrom (+ kill point), I got a few lucky pulls and Brett got absolute [removed]... like a smelly pile of it... I definately owe you a rematch some time - Brett you took the game like a champ!!!!!! A definite vote of sportsmanship!

G2 - Warren K from Warzone - he played Nids.
Draw - 3 all

This was one of the tough missions for me to score in, with only 4 objectives end game. He had 2 squads of hive guard and 9 carnifex.. lots of big guns... He got 1st turn and the table also had plenty of LOS blocking for him which really worked out for him. Lots of carnage ensued, but the pivotal moments were my shield captains bounced off his brain bugs (the ones with 3+ invlu) only doing like 3 and 2 wounds, they got annihilated in the response. and my one knight died and exloded!! YES !! it actually killed his warlord which gave me the point to tie the game. So I got 1st blood Warlord and my objective, and he got 2 from a middle objective and 1 for his. A super fun and knife edge game, and actually deserved a draw result....

G3 - Was the game vs Pete

I agree it was an awesome game, and even though I killed the big tank T1 Pete gave it nails and those knights of his drew the game far longer that it normally would have gone, a well fought fun game. PS I also got damn lucky with all my maelstrom objectives, I got 3 defend and 3 secure objectives and kill 3 things in shooting and stuff... Oh and have something in my deployment and no enemies in the middle and easy stuff like that....

G4 - vs Marco (Aka Nationals Champ - Aka Chaos incarnate :P)
Loss Some ridiculous score like 2-30

This was the other mission I feared greatly, the one with 6 objectives and you score them every turn and can burn ones in your opponents deployment. With such a low model count and only the bikes as objective secured this is a pretty tough mission. It mostly depends on placement of objectives. So we roll the epic roll off, and I get a 6 - ah fudge... I needed to place last and select side... then he rolls a 6 !!! HELL F'ing YE!!! reroll, I roll a 2, he rolls a 3 AWESOME. One hurdle down... They announce deployment and its the silly slim ass dawn of war deployment... WTF... thats bad for me to defend objectives for deep strike T1... so the all important T1 roll and HELL YES I get it.... I have a chance!!!, then...... the demon chaos dice roll the demons number.... 6!!!!!!!!!!! WTFWTFWTFWTFWTF..... 40 cultists teleport T1, charge, command reroll the failed charge and destroy the 3 objectives my side of the board T1.... pretty much game over unless I can table him...(150 cultists, 6 hiding nurglings and some bad ass characters)... ok we can try... not with my dice on this day.... All that being said it was a fun game, I got to kill a lot of chaos models. So if it was the original kill point game... hmmmm what could have been :P :)
Revenge will be sweet :)

G5 vs Burt from 3+ playing Marines and Sisters - Sisters with Ravenguard and Deathwatch
Win 40 -2

The mission was 3 objectives in the center and if characters hold it they snowball every turn. This was a feel badsy match up for me, marines don't like fighting knights and with this mission I made all my knights characters and had a knight and shield captain on each objective - of and I got Turn 1..... SO very feel badsy. However Burt also was a super guy and took it like a champ and he had fun with the Saint killing a captain and stealing one objective from me a couple times, he then also managed to kill another captain I think so he also gave it all he could with what was left of 2 turns of incredible shooting with the knights. The Volcano canon also killed 2 characters on over watch, I don't think I rolled less that 5 on the melta and volcanon cannon, and I rolled 11 twice with the plasma....
I bow to you Burt, and revenge will be yours at into the fray I am sure - where I will probably field marines :)

So I had a fantastic nationals, played fantastic opponents, had a great time and ended 6th overall.

Thanks to the TO's for running the event, and to everyone who came and filled out all the paper work. I know it was a lot, but in the end it achieved the objective of no list issues at the event at all. We really appreciate that guys - thanks!
AndrewS
major

Postby Brindley U » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:24 am

How did the Cultists teleport T1? (and how did they charge?)

I dont know the rules, so, unclear of what they have to circumvent the Beta deployment rules.
Brindley U
colonel

Postby Rift » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:05 am

I used the Dark matter crystal from the Thousand son codex to teleport a unit of 1k son cultists.

Righto, so I ran the cultist list, Ive only tested it a couple of times before hand and to be honest I had serious second thoughts about fielding it right up to the day of nationals.

Game 1: Dave from PE
AM Horde
Kill point game: One of the missions I was worried about, my list has 16 points in it and basically just giving it away. I got a bit lucky drawing Dave as he too was fielding a horde list. I actually finished deploying 1st and had hopes of going 1st……just to get my hopes crushed by Daves dice roll. He went 1st and the game was on. We started the grind with the 1st turn ending in a tie for points, the next turn I was able to strike my letter bomb and surround a vehicle, killing it and everything inside giving me a big lead in points and ultimately the game.

Game 2: Gregg warzone
Custodes with am support
I was able to smite a bike out in turn one, and from there on in basically just gum up his army with bodies. Gregg positioned his army superbly making it almost impossible for me to strike my letters deep into his deployment, turn 3 I see a gap and land my letter in position to hit his warlord, a killy custodes dreadnaught and a guy with a banner. 3 dice to charge, easy peezy….. Gregg grinned at me as I gleefully declare my charge of doom, and pronounced….Tanglefoot grenade… reducing my charge by D6….. I fail my charge miserably and the letters are left standing in the open with their di@#s in their hands. The grind carried on with me having just too many bodies and eventually securing the objectives and winning

Game 3: Sjoerd from PE
Chaos Alpha legion

Funny enough my initial list was also an Alpha legion list. Im pretty familiar with the mechanics and was a bit worried and the Alpha rush as it’s pretty good at keeping your opponent in his deployment zone.
Sjoerd charged my khornate screening cultists, taking casualties in the shooting phase I opened up gaps for my characters to heroically intervene, I was able to wipe out the unit and advance forward. I kept pushing up the table but took heavy casualties from his shooting, this game was probably the best game to show off exactly how powerful Abaddons fearless aura is. Pretty close game that ended in a win for me.

Game 4: Andrew warzone

Bullsh!t Knights with custode support.

This was the game I dreaded, knights are scary as f%ck and I was expecting to face a lot of them. Theyre tough, hit hard and stand back up after you kill them which is incredibly annoying. Andrew and I play each other often, a cunning opponent that knows how to pilot his lists to get the most out of each of his models. Table side was a big deal for objectives, we both roll a 6 and the reroll sees me winning the roll which meant he got table side…god dammit. Going 1st was the next big thing, unlucky for me as I almost always give turn one away with the amount of drops I have. Andrew gets the rolls….and I hail Mary’ed a seize the initiate to get 1st turn…lucky.
I used my crystal relic to teleport my 1k son cultist blob as close as I could to his models, I needed a charge to get them into position which I made….lucky again. This lets me burn all the objectives in his deployment zone and forced him to advance into my lines and grin through my cultists. In the end there were just too many bodies to get through and I got the victory. But to fair everything lined up perfectly for me, right mission into this list, getting 1st turn and getting the charge also killing a knight and it failing to stand back up even with a re-roll…pretty lucky

Game 5: Ryan Warzone

Durkari

Ive not faced drukari and was a bit worried as all the international write ups Ive read placed them at the top of the food chain. I got 1st turn and was able to land a solid alpha strike with one of my prince and a blob of cultists. The prince did its job killing a archon and basically stopping the cp farming….the blob however bounced gloriously getting mowed down by the elves like there was no tomorrow. I was able to position my army over the objective and thus forced Ryan to push and engage me. Once again in the end there were just too many bodies and I got the victory, that being said the game ended with time being called and to be honest im not sure if would still have won if it was played out to turn 6, I did have a decent objective point lead but he still had plenty of guns left.

I had a great tournament, each of my opponent were great sports, excellent players that showed great skill.

Ive played in plenty of tournaments and this was one of the few ones where there were 0 issues with lists being wrong. The buddy system works, people taking responsibility for each other’s lists. I would strongly recommend this to any TO that’s planning an event.

So to the organizers and judges I’d like to say thank you and well done on running a great event. :clap:
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Doc Rot » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:48 pm

This was my first proper tournament outside of the ultra friendly Battle of the Bay we run.

Firstly I'd like to say that everyone at the tournament was a true gent and I had absolutely no issues. The venue was also fantastic and the tables were first class. Well done Warzone, I look forward to the next Nationals you host.

I ran an infantry heavy imperial guard army (all Tallarn and Mordian Iron guard models, lots of plasma and lascannon), with the regimental doctrine Tallarn, which meant everybody could advance and shoot as normal, which surprised alot of people as to how fast the "Infantry Gun Line" actually was. All painted up to look like the Mujahadeen (80's Taliban) with Russians.

Game 1 vs Marco (Chaos Cultists for days)

Funnily enough, just before the first match pairings were announced, Marco and I were discussing how getting a horde match up in this game would be such a ball ache for both of us.....pairing announced, how many models do you have Dave, 150+, how about you Marco...200+. Unlike Marco, I had 30 drops, which certainly put me on the back foot.

Marco deployed really well and my 12 lascannons were only able to shoot cultists all game. Was a good game nonetheless and Marco did play really well. As Marco described above it was pretty close up until the end when things really started to go pop. Marco was a great bloke as well, and where I made a ballsup was gracious enough to allow me to crack on regardless. I'm proud that I could say I was beaten by the eventual winner.

Game 2 vs Marnis from Pretoria (I hope I spelt his name right)

Marnis was playing Dark Angels with a blob of Primaris Hellblasters aroud Lionel Johnson (always sounds like a basketball player), a banner that let them shoot back on death, and a shadow thing that gives a -1 to hit (Deathshroud I think it was called). Unfortunately for Marnis, I concentrated on killing everything else rather than his Primaris Blob of death, and just fed it guardsmen to kill. I also had 7 squads of infantry which were objective secured which helped a lot, especially when I ran a lascannon team on the last turn onto an objective and secured it (who needs to fire lascannons anyway). It was a win in the end, with my guardsmen sweeping across the board and claiming all the objectives. The ease with which Marnis popped my Chimeras was a massive surprise. Number of bodies certainly was a factor in this one.

Great opponent and a great game.

Game 3 vs Markham from Pretoria (again, hopefully I spelt it right)

Markham was fielding Ravenguard and Imperial Guard tanks. This was the -1 to shoot at long range mission, so coupled with the -1 to hit Ravenguard, I was at a serious disadvantage. Thankfully, the speed of my army, as well as the twin flamer loadout on each Chimera really helped here. I was able to get very close to Markham's lines, very quickly and because of the board presence of my army, I was able to shut him out of my side of the board for almost the entire game. Some Maelstorm cards that worked well for me (where I was able to advance across the board, bring some ambusher on from the side, and order the unit to advance again onto an objective with an ambushing officer, helped. Who needs to shoot anyway), helped me get a victory in the end. Again, another great game and another great opponent.

Game 4 was against Sjoerd (my fellow PE gamer), running chaos as Marco described above.

I'd never played Sjoerd in 8th. Suffice to say this was pretty brutal. We'd discussed it the night before and it really came down to who got first turn. Sjoerd got first turn, and it was as predicted. 40 cultists spread across the length of the board on turn 1, 3" from the Guards faces, shooting twice, and then engaging everything in combat. I was going to concede after 30 mins, but Douw convinced me to keep going (thank you). Ended up not being a total annhilation, and I got a few concilation points, so the score wasn't as bad (I think it was 13-5 or something). Again, 2 massive armies, only got to turn 2.

Last game was against Brett (also from PE, and also never played against him). Andrew described his army above.

This really was horde vs elite, with me outnumbering Brett's army by something like 16-1. The main thing of this game was to get characters onto the objectives (I had 7, Brett had 2). This was a really close game the whole way through with plenty of swing points (Brett got first turn, 1st big swing point) and amazing moments. A particular highlight was when the Daemon Prince charged a Platoon Commander and a Commissar in the centre of field, killed the Commissar, and put the Commander on 1 wound. The Commander swings back, gets some attacks through, 6 to wound with the chainsword, fails the save, fails the feel no pain and bounces the wound back onto the commader, killing him and now allowing the Daemon prince to sit on the objective and farm the points.

Suffice to say, that was a big turning point, as I only managed to kill prince on turn 4 with a lucky Krak missile shot from a vet squad after the 2 x Melta Special weapons squads completely fluffed the point blank shots to its face.

It was a very enjoyable game, and Brett managed to murder more of my army than anybody else had and claim the victory. He was left with 3 of his smaller sonic dreadnaughts (I think that's what they were called). And I had a handful of guard left (really only 1 fully intact squad). It was a murderfest of note and exceptionally taxing on the brain. Another great game and a great opponent.

All in all, a great tournament and great company, and although I finished near the bottom, I still think I did ok, considering that a) I don't really play 40k, preferring KoW and b) all I had was a bunch of guardsmen.

Thanks again to the organisers and judges.
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Brindley U » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:07 am

Sounds like madness!!

What was the list, Marco?
Brindley U
colonel

Postby Rift » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 am

Righto, the list

Abaddon
Exalted Champ (Relic: Axe of Blind Fury)
Khorne
Power Axe
Combi-bolter

Cultists Khorne 40
Cultists Slaanesh 40
Cultists Slaanesh 27

Ahriman
Daemon Prince Wings
Talons

Daemon Prince
Talons

Cultists 40
Cultists 10
Cultists 10

Daemon Prince Wings
Axe

Herald of Slaanesh

Bloodletters 24
Icon
Instrument
Nurglings 3
Nurglings 3

The Khornate Cultist unit had brutal cc weapons and pistols, the rest of the cultist units all had autoguns.
The list starts with 20 cp but most of the time I spend about half or more of that on relics and deep strike strats.
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Java Knight » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:43 am

Any chance of posting the results?
War only SUCK If you're on the dying side!
So make sure to stay alive and kick ass!
Java Knight
colonel

Postby Ultima » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 am

Quick question Rift..

You game 4 vs Andrew

How were you able to declare a charge turn 1 with your unit. If by deepstriking them they must be in your deployment zone. And there is no way his units could be within 12" of your deployment zone since you went first

Im not sure of the ruleset that was played but this seems like it shouldn't have been possible ?
Ultima
captain

Postby Rift » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:22 am

Yup, you cant deepstrike outside your deployment zone in turn 1.

So if you look at the rules for the Dark Matter Crystal, basically what it lets you do is remove a unit (Thousand sons unit)from the table and then place it again anywhere on the table more than 9” away from an enemy model. The unit started on the table and was not in reserve.

You can find the rules for that relic in the Thousand sons codex pg 99

“Once per battle, at the end of your Movement phase, you can select the bearer or a friendly THOUSAND SONS INFANTRY unit within 12" of him. Remove that unit from the battlefield and Immediately set it up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" from any enemy models. This does not count as Falling Back if the unit was within 1" of any enemy models”

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Rift » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 am

Out of interest, Orks can do the same thing with the "Da Jump" psychic power

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Ultima » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:19 am

Aaahh okay.

Thanks for the clarification.
Ultima
captain

Postby Shadow Blaze » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Ahoy! See the final results attached
Attachments
ResultsNationals.png
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby traveller551 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:47 pm

logo.png

Many thanks to Ryan at Pandemonium Games for
the awesome prize support!

Always appreciated :)
If the radiance of a thousand suns
Were to burn at once in the sky,
That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
I am become Death-the Destroyer of worlds.
traveller551
corporal

Return to Tournament Discussions