Detachment Questions

a place to talk about Warhammer 40K

Detachment Questions

Postby TheFool144 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi,

I have some questions regarding detachments.

Can two detachments be exactly the same?

If both detachments use the same <faction cult word thing> can a character's abilities influence units from the other detachment?

Thanks

TheFool
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Kong Fuzi
"I have papers proving my sanity." - Eugene
"To become truly wise, you have to believe that you know nothing." - The Fool
TheFool144
corporal

Re: Detachment Questions

Postby Shadow Blaze » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Ahoy there!

Depending on which tournament you may play at they may enforce some sort of rules for the detachments composition, but I think that would be in the vast minority. For casual play and at 90% of things having two detachments that are exactly the same is completely an option.

This said current rumors are that GW will be bringing a rule that restricts you to only being able to take 3 of an option in your list if it is not a troops choice. This seems to be something that almost all the news sites are reporting so I'd keep that in mind if you are looking to buy lots of an option. This should be confirmed or squashed by the end of the month when the FAQ releases.

To your second point those auras will work across detachments. So for instance you have two Alpha Legion detachments and in one of those you have a Chaos Lord. His reroll 1s for attacks made by Alpha Legion units will effect units in both his detachment and the units from the second detachment.

Hope that is helpful for you!
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby Doc Rot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

3 of the same as an option if it's not a troop choice???? That''' be almost my entire army deemed useless in one fell swoop. I.e. Special weapon squads and heavy weapon squads for guard. Wowser.

That'll be an instant rage quit right there and then (mainly because I'll have about 500pts of viable army left)
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby thembi_lewis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am

Rule of Three is official but it's meant for tournaments and is optional for ordinary play
Attachments
faq-rule-of-three-highlights.jpg
"A king does not invite his headsman to the victory feast, for such a man has no place in the halls of peace and plenty. While there are terrors to slay, I will be lauded from afar, and when there are no more, I will be forgotten" - Leman Russ
thembi_lewis
new recruit

Postby Shadow Blaze » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Well, it is still a beta rule for now. So likely to become official in two-three months' time only and maybe be slightly modified as well. Doesn't apply to troops so that is something for most lists but yay for spam being a less achievable thing.
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby Alptraumsong » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 am

I believe only the reserves thing and allies rules are beta.

The rest are erratas/addendums.
My blog: http://glorytothe16th.blogspot.co.za/

Kill for the living,
Kill for the dead!

<[3+ Games]>
Alptraumsong
captain

Postby Shadow Blaze » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 am

Yeah, had to double check but the new detachment stuff is immediate effect.

Those are suggested values for competitive play however so if you're just looking for a game against a friend or something like that there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to ignore it. Even for competitive play that is a suggestion, not a rule. But I'd be glad to see that change rolling through honestly. Even if it doesn't hit what it really needs to.
Shadow Blaze
corporal

Postby Carthrodan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 am

One thing to bear in mind is the Suggestions/Guideline are limits on DATASHEETS.

Lehman Russ Tank Datasheets have the Vehicle Squadron rule, and a single unit can be up to 3 of them, which act independently after deployment. So with Vehicle Squadron, or Combat Squads in Space Marines and other armies, you can easily field, for example, 9 Russ tanks, or six 5-man squads.of Hellblasters (start with three 10 man squads, combat squad them at the beginning of the game).

If enough people provide feedback to 40kfaq@gwplc.com, I could see them providing units like Heavy Weapons teams for IG a combat squad type ability, where you could field 3 units of them, but theyd be the equivalent of 6 regular units when the game starts. I know some Ravenwing and Deathwing players doing that. Granted, it's not like those lists are super competitive, but no reason to prevent a fluffy list if someone wants to bring it tona tournament
Carthrodan
new recruit

Return to 40K chat