3rd Ed WFRP. Is it worth it?

Chat about anything Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay related

3rd Ed WFRP. Is it worth it?

Postby Tristan Coetzee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 am

Has anyone played the Fantasy Flight Games 3rd Edition WFRP yet? If so, please can I have details, comments and criticism of the system.
I reserve the right to use sarcasm liberally in all my posts.
8th Ed so far: W/D/L
Ogres: 8/0/3
DE: 3/0/1
Empire: 2/1/4
Tristan Coetzee
major

Re: 3rd Ed WFRP. Is it worth it?

Postby Rorrak » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:26 pm

At the time of your asking this I had not. I have now read the rules and experimented a little.

I inadvertently bought the campaign pack "The gathering Storm" not realizing there even was a version 3.
I discovered that while you could run it using version 2 you would need to massage quite a lot and decided to buy the rules for 3rd ed.

That said. I do believe the new version is an improvement on a number of levels.

The careers work somewhat differently.

They still have Basic and Advanced but they do not have an "Exit list of Careers". Rather you spend advance points to move from one career to another and the cost depends on how different. There are noticeable benefits to completing a career but you do not have to.

While the list of possible careers is smaller in the main box than V2. there are no WTF? career choices.

Board Gameization (sic)

There are some elements of board games introduced. Not a lot but definitely there.
You get a career card. It lists everything you need to know about your career. It also has "Slots" to link on "Active" Tactics/Focus/Reputation cards. Different careers have different configurations of these slots.
You get cards for your Tactics/Focus/Reputation as well as Action Cards.

You get a "Stance" bar that can have levels of Conservative, Neutral or Reckless and you can shift stances. (Either 1 space for Free or more for some cost in resources)

Dice

The single biggest difference between the games. Gone are your D100's and in are sets of custom dice. At fist when reading the rules I thought it would be harder to evaluate but in practice its not.

The dice have symbols on the faces instead of numbers. Different symbols mean different things.
Some symbols cancel other symbols giving you a "Net" result in type of symbol and essentially every roll is about achieving a net success. The presence of other symbols can cause different effects for example the presence of a sigmar's comet in an attack result means that the result has caused a critical hit.

In the experiments I did this works very nicely actually. Instead of arbitrarily picking a number between 1 and 100 and giving that as a target to the player for some roll that is not covered by a specific skill or what not I tell them to make a "Strength" roll. If I want it to be routine that's all I did. If I want it to be very hard I add 4 misfortune dice and let the "Fundamental 1 success rule play out". If there is something that makes it even more complicated I can add "Challenge dice"

You also get to see the dice and see what was the cause of the effect. If it was a fortune dice that caused the effect the player can say something like. "I took advantage of the goblin slipping" whereas if it was one of the "Skills dice" he can say "My superior training won the day"

I've yet to run a full campaign (am about to) but I really like this principle.

Maneuvers and resources

Every turn you get 1 free maneuver. You can gain "Stress" to do extra mental maneuvers or "Fatigue" to do extra "Physical" Maneuvers.

I quite like this. It doesn't limit you to fixed rules per round but at the same time you cannot keep up a high rate of activity for long periods because you have definite Caps on what you can gain with consequences for going over like unconsciousness or the risk of picking up insanities.

Other things can affect your Stress or Fatigue like failing a fear or terror check or getting prayed for by a sigmar priest. Of course rest reduces both also.

Wounds

These work somewhat differently than V2. There is a "Deck" of wound cards. When you take damage you get 1 card per damage taken and put it on your character card. If the wounds were inflicted with critical effect you flip one of the wound cards over and that effect is applied also. EG. Concussion. Add one misfortune dice to any roll requiring on of the 3 mental Attributes.

Abstracted distances

You do not describe how far someone is away from something in Feet or Yards.
Distances are like this.

Engaged<--1-->Close<--1-->Medium<--2-->Far<--3-->Very Far.

The numbers indicate how many maneuvers are required to change the distance from one state to another.

Personally I like this. I find that measuring models on the table becomes a table top game and away from role playing.

The party Card

The party gets to pick a party style card and that then becomes a part of who they are. Each party card has two "Slots" that you can plug in tactics/focus/reputation to. Additionally each party card has a special attribute that they can do once per X representing them working as a team.

Each party card has a "Party Tension" tracker and when certain levels are achieved penalties are applied to the whole party.

The party card is also where the GM adds "Fortune" points. Once the pool is big enough to have 1 point per player then each player can gain 1 fortune point if they are not at their CAP.
This acts as a "Fix it" resource for the GM as well as a "Reward" system. If you realize your scenario is too hard for the players then you can award plenty of "Fortune" points to correct that without having to "Fudge" rolls too much.

Action /Spell cards

Each advanced action has a two sided card. A character can acquire these cards as part of leveling and can then use them. The side of the card you use depends on your stance and many cards have different results on each side.
These cards have a cool down factor. Once used you put on a number of tokens and they cannot be used again till the tokens are all off. (Sometimes this has the effect of a buff duration).

Cards have requirements. eg. Must be engaged for a melee attack, or at least at medium range for bow use.

Cards then have different success lines.
Eg.
Melee Attack.
1 Success. Hit for weapons damage.
3 Success. Hit for weapons damage +2
1 Sigmars comet. Hit was critical.
2 Banes. Fumble.

or
Big City Bravado. (Red side)

1 Success. Party adds 1 fortune dice to Intimidate/x/y checks. (While this card has cool down tokens)
3 Success. Party adds 2 fortune dice to intimidate/x/y checks. (")
Add one cool down token per Boon.

Spells also follow this principle.
They also add "Power" or "Favour" as a resource need to cast.

Favour and Power

Essentially the mana system. Except the pool of mana is quite small but can be replenished with successful Channel or "Curry Favour" checks. (Also Action cards)

----------------------------------------------

Overall I quite like it but will know better after running a few sessions.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby DaImp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:33 pm

This actually sounds quite interesting. I used to play 1st edition, never played 2nd. The dice system seems pretty cool and a lot of the mechanisms appear to have been streamlined without sacrificing any of the flavour of the game.
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Rorrak » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 am

Ok. We played a nice decent sized session yesterday.

All I can say is WOW I'm very pleased with the system. Some things that worried me slightly on the rules reading turned out to be a non issue.

What I really liked is how little the rules got in the way of the story telling. Most of what you need to know is on your player sheet or the action cards you have. The mechanics seem to be incredibly handled by these "Board Game" elements that you can get down to the nitty gritty of Roleplaying and story telling.

It made first time players into decent players. Unusual for a first session.

Fatigue and stress in a combat situation is represented beautifully, normally this is very abstract and does not often have an effect. Here it is an integral part of combat and it fits in VERY well.

Yes, I really like this system.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Greval » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:35 pm

I look forward to challenging this system to its limits in your next campaign :mrgreen:
This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine... without it, I am nothing on this group and without me, it is nothing on this group.
Greval
brigadier-general

Return to Warhammer Roleplay