Help me build a Harby list.

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

Help me build a Harby list.

Postby Rorrak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:37 am

From what I can tell there are two ways to run Harby.
Heavy Mech or Heavy Infantry.

The Heavy mech build seems to require more Reckoners than you would need in any other list and is thus awkward to buy models for.

So my initial 35 list is
-------------------------------------------------------------

Harbinger
Devout
Hierophant
Full Bastions
Full Errants + UA
Knights Exemplar
Allegiant
Vilmon
Paladin
Paladin
Wrack.

---------------------- My Reasoning -----------------------
Devout to avoid E-Eirys shooting off her focus or to take a big hit from a Defender/Ravagor or Reckoner.
Seems non negotiable. (Is It?)

Heirophant to help fix Martyr damage.

Bastions. She makes them fast enough, also if they take a light hit they can spread the damage. If one takes a heavy hit she can Martyr to keep it alive.

Knights Exemplar. Seems like a no brainer. Let them die till you have a super solo or two.

Errants. Because Errants.

Vilmon and two paladins.
Super hard hitters.
Can avoid Non Magical attacks and be saved when magical attacks do them in.
11 inch threat. 13 on Vilmon.

Allegiant. Super hard to kill and great at fighting for Objective space. When he does die. No he didn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I want a heavy?
Is she not a 35 point caster?
What changes would you make? No sacred cows here. Slay them if needed.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Re: Help me build a Harby list.

Postby Skippy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:13 am

Any reason for so many solo units? If there is a way I suggest looking at the daughters of the flame. A good high Def unit that mows through single wound units with ease.
Skippy
sergeant

Postby Rorrak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:36 pm

I have daughters, even painted up :)

I can give them a whirl but my experiences is that they just don't do it for me. You would think that Def15 would be good but they just get wiped out quickly to shooting.

With Harby they would be really quick though and she improves their chance to hit dramatically. Definitely an idea.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Out of experience, as I had lots of success with a similar list.
Devout is a must, Remember "Never sing Cant Shoot at him with a choir" (If you do put a choir in)
Paladins Work, and can become an auto win against Non Magical armies especially objective games.
Bastions work also Stops Jacks Trampling into base with Harby. Hits like a ton of bricks especially when guided. Experimenting with the Bastion Solo could be interesting but there low def does make them a problem in late game.
Exemplars work very well, like you say No brainer
Errants I haven't tried , might be worth getting the Piper in there as well. They should actually work better than Bastions.

I think you might have too much infantry for what Harby can handle, problem I can see dealing with High Armour but also your playing style will determine how aggressive your going to play Harby and how depended you making your army on her Martyr.

Other options that create interesting combo's with Harby:
-Avatar as hes stare and Harby's feat is quite lethal combination. Good Synerchies imho
-Fire of Salvation, he extra movement will catch people,
-Covenant of Menoth making your Errants even unkillable ,tough(with Piper) and Standing up,
-Battle Engine is also a nice Option to consider when you go 50 points.
-Knight Exemplar Seneschal, "What do you mean he heals when I kills your Errants ?"
-Wrack, extra Armour or extra Healing.
-Nicia, she just works in most lists :)

But let me know how it goes, always interested in PoM Lists. Hope there is some helpful info there.

On the Daughters you can get them to Def 17 if Harby is close enough and fighting living models but meh ... I rather go with Errants.
"If you didn't believe in the Creator before, you will today." - Long Gunner Sergeant Terschel Bannock to fresh recruit sent into battle against the Knights Exemplar.
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby Lego-Pup » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:59 pm

I've had really good success with

Harby
-Devout
-Reckoner
-Reckoner
Heirophant
Choir (min)
Errant (max)
-Errant UA
Covenant
Vassal x2
Errant Seneschal
Zealots (max)
-Zealots UA
Gorman
Rhupert

Basic idea is that the Zealots with their mini feat (greater destiny) are able to hold one flank. Errants with tough from Rhupert and no kd from the book hold the other flank. Really nice thing here is that you can roll for tough and if they fail still martyr them. They pretty much never die.
Reckoners pick off high value solos early on and then beat down opponents heavies. The Reckoners ashen veil also stacks with Harby's awe ability to make them DEF14 in melee against living stuff. Also if they're close to Harby and a living enemy tries to get into melee with her she is DEF18.
Devout and Gorman protect Harby from shooting with shield guard and cloud. Gorman can toss bombs in the late game to shut things down.
The support does the regular supporty stuff.
Lego-Pup
sergeant

Postby Rorrak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:51 pm

@Charles
I love Fire of Salvation and he currently doesn't have a home in any of my lists.
Was using him with Thyra but I just can't make Thyra work. So this could work well.
I do feel light on Jacks in my list.

@Lego pup.
I'm currently using the Rupert/Covenant combo in my Sevy list but yea, its probably better here. Definitely some food for thought.
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Dark Angel » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I do worry about the lists ability to crack armor but then this will I guess be one of your lists for scenario and anti-infantry so it is ok in general if it can't handle much in the way of heavies.
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby Charles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:16 pm

DA: Yes he can have another list but you need have a bit of Balance, I do think all list should have a heavey hitter, also it helps Harby of not Martyr everything.

@Rorrak: Harby vs PoM(Too much Fire) and Retribution is too be avoided, otherwise Harby is amazing vs Hordes if you play her aggressively. But I'm glad you answer the call of the Harbinger, shes is amazing model and I think you will enjoy playing with her, your opponents not so much.
"If you didn't believe in the Creator before, you will today." - Long Gunner Sergeant Terschel Bannock to fresh recruit sent into battle against the Knights Exemplar.
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby Rift » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Harbinger of Menoth5
Reckoner8
Reckoner8
Vanquisher8
Vanquisher8
Hierophant2
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts)3
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)8
The Wrack (3 wracks)
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal of Menoth
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Menset » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Rift wrote:Harbinger of Menoth5
Reckoner8
Reckoner8
Vanquisher8
Vanquisher8
Hierophant2
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 5 Grunts)8
The Wrack (3 wracks)
Vassal of Menoth
Vassal of Menoth

This made me laugh.....

Its Rift telling Rorrak don't theory machine it....just play this list and you'll win. Net List FTW!

Wish I could help in this thread...i'm useless when it comes to information on the fire fanatics
Kelvin Jones

Unleash the Power of the Storm!
Menset
lieutenant-general

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:54 pm

@Rift first 35 point ,50 points later ... also it will help Rorrak if you tell him why your taking the units that your taking and the idea behind the list.

@Kelvin , can maybe give us a bit information how he's games are going with Harby and then if he requires any advise we can maybe assist. You can add your experiences fighting against Harby.

@Rorrak How is your games going with Harby ?
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby Rift » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:33 pm

its menoth their [removed] is self explanatory.... but ok

Harbi (Coz we building for her...50 because that is the standard)
Heirophant (Cheaper spell)
Reckoner (arguably best jack in the game....big gun, big bat)
Reckoner (You have 10 focus...have 2, another big gun and another big bat)
Vanquisher (Big gun for infantry control)
Vanquisher (You have 10 focus... have 2, another big gun = more dead infantry)

Choir (Make my [removed] better)
Choir (make my [removed] better...2 units? coz you got 4 jacks)
Errants ua(Because theyre amazing and weapon masters)
Errants ( 2 Units? Coz theyre freaking amazing)
Vassal (Lets me shoot my big guns more)
Vassal (2 models? BECAUSE THEYRE AMAZING)
Wrack....(1 point filler, have another focus)

ye that covers it.

had to build the thing in forward commander to make sure i got the points right.
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby joppie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 am

What Rift said is spot on. There is 2 things I really hate when playing menoth, reckoners and errants.
That list doubles up on them. And you have a huge threat zone in the sense you can play very far forward, use feat to keep away infantry, and 2 reckoners with battle and 3 focus each starting within 4" of fuel cache, can murder anything. Might not be a fun list, but a very hard and frustrating one for opponent
Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds it's certainty.
joppie
general

Postby CircleofDaemons » Sun May 03, 2015 10:59 am

I've personally had lots of fun with the following:

Harbringer
-Devout
-Reckoner
-Hierophant
Exemplar Errands with UA (max)
Temple Flameguard with UA (max)
Exemplar Knights
Exemplar Knights
Covent
Vassal
Chior
Rhupert
Vilmon

(recalling from memory)
--------------------
The Errands with Rhupert and no KD book, as discussed are amazingly annoying for my opponent to remove. The flameguard synergies with Awe with their defensive stats and Harby extra hit die compensates for their low mat (plus they have served as an amazing shield for harby, 2" infront of harby shield wall have halted enemies getting to her).
The Knights really shine for me, as she keeps those last 2-3 alive for super hitting units. Access to these guys (and their innate magical swords) took me a kraken and a unit of ethereal styxis.
Vilmon is there to hold a zone and be immune to death (Trolls despise him) and the reckoner takes his pot shots and is the late game beat stick once the infantry is done and spent.
CircleofDaemons
private

Postby Rorrak » Tue May 05, 2015 7:36 pm

Some great feedback here.

Believe me I've abused the Rhupert, Book Combo in the past. I can see that Harby just brings a sense of reliability to it. :)

One thing that keeps coming up. Knights exemplar Senechal. I don't own one but I can really see his value.

Rift wins a lot, so his list is to be taken seriously. I can actually see how it works.
It does require buying another full set of Errants.

I've finally started to paint her. What Evan says is true, you need to be playing to be painting :)
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes