New Player wanting to know about Circle Orboros

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

New Player wanting to know about Circle Orboros

Postby Sagefax » Tue May 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Afternoon Guys

So I am a new player and am interested in the Circle of Orboros. So far from reading on various forums and looking at the different models it seems that Warbeasts aren't that competative?

The strongest lists seems to be with constructs.

Also how popular is Circle of Orboros locally as speaking to everyone at BB Tygervalley, everyone seems to play them.

I would also like some info on the Griffons and Una the falconer, Brennos, Death Wolves and the epic Morvhana
Sagefax
corporal

Re: New Player wanting to know about Circle Orboros

Postby R.I.P. » Tue May 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Warbeasts are competitive in circle. We have 2 active circle players in the cape, one in durbanville. With a few others playing them every now and again.

If you want to have a chat to the durbanville circle player he is playing at BB tygervalley tomorrow night. He will be playing dwarfs though.

If you want a demo game sometime lemme know and I can hook you up with either myself or one of our other club members.

Rotterhorn griffons are sweet.
Una is sweet.
Brennos is debatable, very much debatable.
Death wolves are going to be good.
Epic Morvhana is extremely powerfull.
Beer for the Blood God!
R.I.P.
corporal

Postby Total Gee » Tue May 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Yo

Warbeast are great, the WW stalker is so good.

Yeah its true circles strongest list at the moment does seem to be Bradigus with lots of wolds, You do not need to own this list to be competitive with circle, but it is really good. The wolds aren't as great as the other beast out side of bradigus though.

Circle are a popular faction.

IMO
eMorv is amazing
Death Wolves are amazing
Una and Rotterhorn are amazing
Brennos is very niche, most circle players aren't a fan
Total Gee
general

Postby Lego-Pup » Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Welcome to the game

I would agree with everything that RIP and Gee said. Circle is very competitive and so are all their warbeasts, the wolves and goats and constructs.

There is a more established group that plays at the Cavendish battlebunker which includes those 2 circle players that RIP mentioned. However a lot of us will be making the effort to come out to tygervalley battlebunker when we can to help grow the game that side now that its available at the battlebunkers.

I have let both the circle guys know about your post here so hopefully they will pop in and respond too.
Lego-Pup
sergeant

Postby Sagefax » Tue May 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Kewl I will be there tomorrow evening...

I play Dark Elves in WHFB, so like the idea of fast moving and hart hitting.

The only thing I seem to see with Circle is that if you play a Warbeast army you basically boost one of your Warpwolf's, manuever your opponent, kill it by warpwolf and pull it back. With the Satyr's used as support and then Gorax there to buff your warbeasts again.

I am very much interested in the
Lord of Feast
Feral Warpwolf
Shifting Stones with the Stone Keeper attachment
Warpwolf Skinborn with the Alpha Attachment

Then thinking of the Druid Wilder,Swamp Gobbers Bellows crew but don't really know if I am going in the right direction.
Sagefax
corporal

Postby Sagefax » Tue May 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Thank you for the help guys..

Lol I spoke to Grant in the beginning before getting interested and it sounded like people were more into the warmachine units, so I was hoping to be different and play CIrcle... But seems like Circle most popular horde faction...

I like playing armies nobody plays and make them competative... Thats why I play Dark Elves but using units that no-one else uses like the Bloodwrack shrine and executioners
Sagefax
corporal

Postby Lego-Pup » Tue May 19, 2015 3:09 pm

I'm not a circle player myself but having faced them quite a bit I would say you are heading in the right direction. All of those things are circle staples. Also if you like fast hard hitting stuff then circle definitely can do that. I'm sure the circle guys will step in when they can and give more specific advice.

In terms of playing something that nobody else does, we actually have representation of all the factions (even mercs and minions) in the cape. So you won't be on your own regardless of what you choose so don't worry too much there I guess. Also all of them are competitive with a bit of practice.
Lego-Pup
sergeant

Postby Malafide » Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi there,

im that terrible circle player you have heard about. i will be gaming at Tygervalley Battlebunker tomorrow from about 5h15pm. i am not 100% sure if ill be playing circle or not, but ill be more than willing to have a chat about the faction and any further questions that you may have then.

a few things to keep in mind about circle are (and watch the forum fights ensue :P ):
1. they are a powerful faction, but not a straight forward one. you can buff your beasts to ludicrous levels, throw them almost literal miles accross the field and kill almost anything in one glorious round of vengeful destruction. to do so however requires you to string together a mesh of buffs and spells in a very specific manner, which might be hard to pick up in your early games. and might also not win you a game if you do.
2. you will loose a lot of your earlier games. this is because the faction cant really take much of a punch to the face, so its a touch unforgiving to mistakes.
3. they are the fastest faction (legion might not agree with that), but turning speed into a win is not always an easy thing to do.

ok... thats all the slightly negative stuff out the way. most of the above points, it shoud be noted, are not a long term problem. i just mention them here so you dont get discoraged when your friends beat pkaya into submission with pDenny battle box over the first few weeks of playing.

Now to the meat of the matter:

1. Warbeasts: they are super competitive. almost all of them. The flavour of the week is bradigus and constructs at the moment, true, but they are only really good (in those types of numbers definately) in his list. circle have great warbeasts across their stable. my personal favourite to this day is still the plain old feral warpwolf. stalkers and pureblod wolves are good too. the goats all have some places they can play too (although i am terribly unlucky with mine). and both our older character beasts are really great. the constructs also all have places in list depending on your purposes. the gorax is a must have as is the newer light beasts too the rotterhorn also fast becoming a personal favourite of mine. so if you want to play wih beasties you are in the right place. pretty much every single list i play with has 3+ beasts in it. often 3 heavies and a few lights.

2. is circle competitive? Yes. its right up there at international levels at the moment.

3. Deathwolves: since they arent out yet and i have not proxied them really, and the pros havent gotten their mitts on them yet its hard to say. but they seem good at mincing infantry. the problem you will find is, as TotalGee likes to put it, "circle kills infantry by accident". they fill a role that we are already very blessed with in terms of solutions. that being said, they seem to be good. if you like them get them. thats the beauty of this system... very little is bad, you really can almost, to a degree, play anything you like.

4. Una and her birds. wow. just wow. as i said the rotterhorn is a wonderfuil little beast with a great animus that changed a lot of circles old tricks to be better. Una is on my shortlist for future purchases.

5. eMorv (aka Goatbitch, aka Hergoatyness): shes top tier. full stop. she was the release that started the period most people refer to as "circle christmass". her spells, abilities, and stats are all usefull and you will get a lot of work out of her. she also tends to make all our other units better... so good units become great units and great units go off their tits. I find shes not the easiest caster to play, and you have to invest a bit of time into her (a task i am currently undertaking). but you will never feel like your list is underpowered if you run her.

6.caters in general: most of ours are up there. we have the 3 powerhouses (for strictly tournament level competitive play) of Bradigus, eMorv and e Kreuger. but then we have a massive stable of great casters that are still good enough to play competitively. pretty much everyone except grayl is competitive and can be played, and played at a high level, if you want. hell even grayl aparently goes off his face if you have the money to buy 4 units of wolves of orboros for his tier.

ok... that got long on me...

Have you got any models yet? eyeing any specific casters other than hergoatyness?
Malafide
private

Postby und_ed » Tue May 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Welcome Sage.

Some tips to help you out:

1) Get the warpwolf box, and magnetise the arms. You'll want to be able to choose between using a Feral Warpwolf and a Warpwolf Stalker (The stalker more often than the Feral - the stalker brings an amazing animus that lets you do all the hit-and-run stuff you're looking for)

2) Shifting stones are great, don't look back

3) Skinwalkers and the warpborn UA are probably not the best way to get into the faction. They're fantastic with eMorvahna, but you won't get a lot of use out of them with other casters. They're a good buy fr 6 or so months down the road.

4) Tharn bloodtrackers plus UA. Probably the most common staple unit of Circle, get a full unit and never look back.

5) Get a Gorax. hideously useful and again something you will use with many many casters

6) Stay away from the Wold-heavy popular caster unless you're looking to drop a lot of money in one go. The caster in particular is Bradigus, and he is very strong in the current metagame (and in general in my opinion), but he requires a lot of models that you will never use with any other caster, meaning for the same amount of cash you can get 3-4 tournament-playable lists ready instead.

7) Visit the local clubs and chat to the players. You will get great advice and most of them are decent guys. Except for Gee. He hurts puppies in his spare time. Watch out for that guy.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Malafide » Tue May 19, 2015 4:07 pm

i posted a whole long reply... that isnt showing up... think i got moderated for my dirty mouth... :/

summation then till it gets through Eli's clutches...

Circle good but tricky. Me likey fluffies. Me be at BB Tygervalley tomorrow you come, ask question. is good.
Malafide
private

Postby CircleofDaemons » Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Greetings,

I am cape Towns Resident circle fanatic, I own the faction and play all the casters and models and am probably the reason people in cpt have a bradigus headache.

To answer some of your question:
1 - constructs are generally weaker than their living companions, stay away from the lights but invest in hammer hands (wold guardian) and megalith. These investments you won't regret, they amazing beasts for any caster, especially emorv.

2- skinwalkers are an excellent unit but MUST have he Ua else they aren't worth it, emorv loves them for feat and carnivore and any of our arm buff casters love them, kromac, pbaldur, ebaulder, pmorv.

3- lord of the feasts is an amazing guy and very much a crutch, you'll never regret fielding him but may find yourself disregarding our hidden gems because in comparison they "aren't as good" ( a reeve solo kills 6 models a turn with emorv reliably)

4 - griffons are good but you find you run out of points to field them often, I wouldn't start with a griffon investment, they are a later support piece.

5 - a warp wolf stalker is a must, path finder and reach are a rare combination in any faction, let alone sprint animus. A feral is optional, not every caster wants one/needs one but it's a good mat 7 beast with a pretty...useless animus, but we not buying him for his animus.

6- gnarlhorn goat is a support beast, riphorn is a beat stick like feral but lower mat (better at killing jacks than a feral but feral has more utility)

7 - shifting stones and a gorax, these are a must. The gorax is a huge crutch that will help you learn the game and lets you make a mistake and still win trade off due to its animus. But as you get xp you'll find you field it less and less due to your own trading skills improving.

General stuff now: circle is popular but each players model pool is very limit, ignoring my obsession, so you won't find yourself hitting circle vs circle matches a lot and when you do they're very different lists to you. Also circle is often people's 2nd faction in cpt and not primary so you won't fight a lot of circle either way. Legion is far more popular, then trolls then circle then that samurai elephant camp thing.

If you want to test out anything circle related I often game at battle bunker cavendish and sometimes go to tygervalley, when I can get a game, you more than welcome to take my circle for a spin.

Final starter recommendations for emorv:
- stalker
- skinwalkers and Ua
- Stones and Ua
- gorax
- feasts
- anything else

The above is extremely forgiving, you murder infantry and can crack armor without missing ever... Downside, emorv hates fighting cryx cuz carnivore doesn't work, so don't do it.

Recommended to expand
- wold guardian
- feral
- Druids of orboros and the Overseer Ua
- tharn bloddtrackers and Nuala attachment
- Megalith

Should be broke by this point so I'll stop here. Also the above models can overlap with 80% of circles casters so whichever non bradigus caster takes your fancy the above pool will make you a competitive, nasty list.

Regards and
All hail our lord and savior
Ghetorix,
Circle of daemons ( yes I played fantasy deamons)
Last edited by CircleofDaemons on Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CircleofDaemons
private

Postby Total Gee » Tue May 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Malafeed I released your post
Total Gee
general

Postby Malafide » Tue May 19, 2015 5:27 pm

i only malisciously feed in LoL mate...

also... i cuncur with rainman's suggested buying path, especially if you want to go the eMorv route out the gates. if you DO want to go might i suggest maybe going halfsies on the 2 player battlebox with a friend who plays legion. the skinwalkers in there are quite significantly cheaper than buying then seperate. and you get a second warpwolf chassis.
Malafide
private

Postby Rorrak » Tue May 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Such a lot of good advice, here. Very nice to see.

As to the OP, Circle will probably still be a good choice for you even if it is popular.
Its tougher to learn but very rewarding when you do.

Don't get disheartened when you lose in the beginning. Someone already said this but it bears repeating.

Also, there are some bad units. Not a lot but there are some. It helps save money to do some research.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Sagefax » Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Thank you for all the advice guys... Really appreciated..

Have been doing a bit of thinking and well definitely be trying to learn the game as quick as possible. But have a list possibly in mind which I think should be fairly cheaply to get.

so list consists of:
Epic Morvahna
Druid Wilder
Gorax
Gnarlhorn Satyr
Feral / Stalker Warpwolf
Lord of Feast
Reeve Hunter
Gallows Grove
Gallows Grove
Shifting Stones with Stone Keeper
Warpborn Skinwalkers with Warpborn Alpha
Tharn Blood Pack

The idea is to buy the two player box set (Have a mate intersted in Legion) as well as the starter box set. Most of these models are in those sets. The only I have to buy extra is the swam gobbers, warpborn alpha, war wolf reeve hunter, druid wilder and epic morvahna
There is a couple of us starting out new in Nothern Suburbs so we all purchased either two player box or the battle boxes.
I have the battle box for Circle so got prime kaya, argusx 2, warpwolf and also got an gorax.

I was thinking of converting the other Warpwolf in the two player box set to an pureblood, then I have a buyer for the legion as well as the additional gorax.

So for the time being I will be learning how to jam with Gorax and the warpwolf till I can order the models
Sagefax
corporal

Next

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes