World Team Championship 2016

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

Re: World Team Championship 2016

Postby Menset » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:15 am

joppie you know this game is about knowing not only what your own list can do inside and out but also what others could throw at you.

WTC is about doing your homework. All the lists are put online well in advance so that teams can work on favourable matchups and what to expect if the opposing team get 1st pick. Its super awesome playing in a well run team event. I know team china sent their 5 warmachine players last year, they only have like 8 players in total, and they didn't fair too badly.

I think we (South Africans) have the skill to give them a run for their money. Luckily Warmachine/Hordes isn't a beer n pretzel game and you will always be bringing your "A" game. I know the Capies are hardcore and their Meta is pretty strong. I also see the lists that Und_Ed, CPT iPod (Chaddy-Poo) and Rift throw out and they playing to win.....I really think the SA meta is strong. And we all know you and bunnyslayer seem to place everytime you guys attend an event......don't ask me how but lady luck must favour the PTA Boertjies. Hell I've even managed 2 placings while I've been here and I ain't anywhere near the calibre that you guys are.

Getting a Team together will be a ton of hard work and for the amount of money you would be spending to get to the event I would rather suggest a Con/PP event.

I know for a fact I wouldn't want to play in a team event where we have all had to fork out nearly 3 months salary only to pray that my team will carry me. I would rather test the waters with a Con, without the stress of letting the other people down.

SmogCon is the con to get to if you can't afford to get to L&L. It is now the official PP "American Style" event in Europe. Seriously go take a look at their site and look at the amount of gaming that can be had. 2016 I will be a attendee instead of PG'ing and I am seriously amped. 3 Days of gaming and you can spend those 3 days in the Iron Arena playing casual games for points to score yourself some pp swag or you can enter the proper Masters, Iron Gauntlet or Plain Steamroller events.

If you are looking for a GenCon type event hosting multiple systems and giving you a chance to see other games then I wouldn't suggest anything in Europe. They haven't gotten that right yet. You will have to fork out to get to the US if you want something along those lines.
Kelvin Jones

Unleash the Power of the Storm!
Menset
lieutenant-general

Postby joppie » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks Menset, will keep in mind. This was merely a topic to attract interest, but I suppose our country and people's wealth situation makes something like this very expensive.

I was thinking Gencon, cause it's the premier board game convention, but costs for smogcon might be far more affordable. While i'm still playing the game and PP doesnt seems like it wants to kill warmachine like GW did fantasy, I want to attend a major worldwide tournament.
Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds it's certainty.
joppie
general

Postby alphastealer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:16 pm

I have also been really keen to check out Lock n Load or Smog Con but price is a big factor, especially with the Rand where it is now.

In the interim I think it would be good to 'focus' on upping the local offerings.

If you listen to old episodes of the podcast 'boosted damage' you will hear that the UK started off on a much smaller scale and grew into Smog Con.

We should aim for more regional and national convention type events to get the locals used to a weekend of gaming, with sponsors, prizes and a bit of publicity.

Once we have a solid 128+ players we can start to reach out to the international groups to host a few big events here in SA.

Smog Con became an official Privateer Press event last year. This gave them full Con status with PP staff, panel discussions, big prize support and a big influx of international players.

Nothing is stopping us from doing the same if we build the local groups up.
alphastealer
sergeant

Postby joppie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 am

We are long way off. We got about 20 players for Nationals, and a lot of players who play, but don't really attend tournaments. The closing of Thug really hurt the warmachine community
joppie
general

Postby The italian job » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:36 pm

alphastealer wrote:
Smog Con became an official Privateer Press event last year. This gave them full Con status with PP staff, panel discussions, big prize support and a big influx of international players.

Nothing is stopping us from doing the same if we build the local groups up.

I think the next objective for SA would be to reach the point where we can run a South African master event, where at least 50+ players are needed.

At this point in time, let's face it with realism and constructive spirit, we are pushing small numbers compared to other realities.

We are a niche in the niche, a niche wargame in the niche of wargame players (because, let's face it, products like X-wing and Heroclicks are fare more successful if we just compare raw numbers, for various reasons).

On the con side, I don't think we're doing bad, there is attendance and I think geekfest had some numbers and warcon will have some numbers as well, if the hype will meet the expectations I expect nothing short of 250 / 300 people.
Evan is a bit worried with the wmh tourney numbers but I'm confident we will reach a honest (if not awesome) numbers of players. I expect around 15 - 20. The outcome of other minor events we run recently make being optimistic about these numbers. I think at least 16 player is a very realistic expectation. And don't forget we have official PP steamrollers pins to give away at the event.

There are a variety of factors who are stopping this community to grow properly (growing inflation, lack of local distributors, ecc) but in the end we can see some steady grow.

Make a wmh only convention is something way out of the league at this point, because I think, if we count all the wmh players in SA we will probably barely reach 50 guys (estimated around 25 players in Joburg and around the same number in CPT, I don't see other communities anywhere else unfortunately, if I'm mistaken I would be very happy about it). So we need to go multi system and we had lots of nice cons this year so we are on the right track.

We just need to stay focused, keep the community friendly and welcoming and retain as well as acquire new players where possible.

Also warzone will send a delegation to AI fest in Joburg to demo some games and WMH will be one of them.

Another good thing would be trying to be at Rage, but I suspect the prices for a stall are very steep and since we are not a profit based association it can be punishing to fork out 2000 / 3000 just to be there.

And if someone has ideas or solutions, I'm very open to hear them and put in some work, but unfortunately time constrains and even money constrains do not let me to travel extensively to attend various events. Yes I have a heavy ass, and as much as I can be willing to go as far as Johannesburg North, I don't see myself going to CPT at the moment.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby joppie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:04 am

So even Pretoria is pushing it? I'm plannign to hold mutiple events next year.
joppie
general

Postby und_ed » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 am

Good stuff, Joppie.

The lack of WM is the only thing that kept me away from UPCON (or whatever it's calling itself nowadays) this year.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby joppie » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32 am

This is getting out of discussion. Northcon and Killcon will have warmachine. I'm planning something in February as well.
joppie
general

Postby The italian job » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:00 pm

joppie wrote:So even Pretoria is pushing it? I'm plannign to hold mutiple events next year.

It depends from the days and who else is going. If we get a good group from Joburg I'll say it's better since we can split petrol costs (and the tedious driving).

But I support any initiative in Pretoria. I think building a strong community there is the key to held a big event in Joburg or anywhere in the middle, even if, considering the spacious location we got, Jeppe Quondam would be ideal to held a big WM event.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Previous

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes