Idea for Icon next year.

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

Idea for Icon next year.

Postby Rorrak » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 am

So Ed suggested something I'm really quite keen on for Icon next year.

Instead of a warmachine tournament. We instead have a couple of tables where we run small demo games.
We have some pre-made small armies, 35* points and actively try and get people that look remotely interested to play a game with one of us. We go through the basics.

*I say 35 points because its enough, with jack allowances for a bit of everything, small enough to grasp, quick enough to not hijack someone for too long so more likely to get a bite.

Would need fully painted, and great terrain.

Thoughts?
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Re: Idea for Icon next year.

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 am

I'm game. I'd miss not playing but getting the numbers there seems to be a challenge anyways
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby The BAG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

You can do both.
AKA Saul.
Painting table:2 custom trolls
30 old high elf monopose spearmen
savage orc shaman
the walking dead starter
Horde of fleabags (riders only)
http://www.mhpromo.co.za
http://www.fairlabour.co.za
The BAG
general

Postby und_ed » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am

I'm very keen.

35 (or even 25) is a great size to work with (I don't like battlebox games much, don't feel they give enough of the flavour of the game)

We should probably determine some sort of pared-down scenario as well, since scenario play is such a key part of WM/H.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Guys,

Some of my past experiences with Demos at Icon

Demo games is a bit easier to Demo with Battlebox game,
-Less rules , simplify the game to the new player. Speeds the games up
-More models, make the game more daunting and slower, its Demo game so want to keep it short.
-Faster games , so can get more demo games in
-Also use the Casters in the Battleboxes , they are normally more straight forward to play and feel for the faction.

Regards,
"If you didn't believe in the Creator before, you will today." - Long Gunner Sergeant Terschel Bannock to fresh recruit sent into battle against the Knights Exemplar.
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby Lantre » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I would also stick with Battlebox sized games (maybe a bump to 10pts) for demo purposes. The basic rules by themselves take a while to grasp, throwing units in there tends to make things more complicated than they need to start with. Units and bigger armies can be on display boards showing off a 'full' scale battle.
Lantre
new recruit

Postby Rorrak » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:42 pm

A battle box game demo was the reason I DID NOT start warmachine for another 3 years.
I felt the game was way to simple and lacking tactics and I feel that is also a real risk.

I do see the point though.

Perhaps offer a tiny game with the option for a "fuller" game and lay out the reasons at least.

Charles makes a good point about careful selection of the casters. Kreoss is fairly simple but complex enough. Just don't pair him against Irusk for the demo game :)
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Simple and lacking tactics , that depends on how the game is demoed. I normally kept it quite simple and let there be a lot more smashing with basic tactics of the characters, so that there player can get a feel on the character/game and how it play and works.

Stock like Battle Boxes at Icon would also help , that was normally my biggest issue as there is always a lot interest in the Steampunk theme.
"If you didn't believe in the Creator before, you will today." - Long Gunner Sergeant Terschel Bannock to fresh recruit sent into battle against the Knights Exemplar.
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby The italian job » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

I think the initiative make sense only if there is a immediate availability of the product. Once the game is finished, the prospective player need to be able to buy immediately the product.
The final aim of the demo game should be having a potential player walk away with the product. I would ask pandemonium first if they can make a plan.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby The BAG » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 am

The italian job wrote:I think the initiative make sense only if there is a immediate availability of the product. Once the game is finished, the prospective player need to be able to buy immediately the product.
The final aim of the demo game should be having a potential player walk away with the product. I would ask pandemonium first if they can make a plan.

true, after the kow demos last year every person pretty much said "where can i buy this game?" and the answer was not a simple "over there". very dishearteneing.
AKA Saul.
Painting table:2 custom trolls
30 old high elf monopose spearmen
savage orc shaman
the walking dead starter
Horde of fleabags (riders only)
http://www.mhpromo.co.za
http://www.fairlabour.co.za
The BAG
general

Postby und_ed » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am

hmm, fair points.

What I think we can do is have some printed out fliers with contact details for both DGI and Pandemonium games (or maybe just pandemonium if we're gonna keep it local) so folks have easy access to picking up toys.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby The italian job » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 am

und_ed wrote:hmm, fair points.

What I think we can do is have some printed out fliers with contact details for both DGI and Pandemonium games (or maybe just pandemonium if we're gonna keep it local) so folks have easy access to picking up toys.

If you let a player go home and think about it, chances are his budget will be already spent somewhere else and in some stuff more readily available.

I think next year Pandemonium will attend. Ryan is a very accomodating guy. I'm sure he would come in with a couple of boxes to support you people. See what he says. In case he says he will not come or he can't bring boxes then see if another plan can be made.

But as first objective, I would aim at having there some product to sell.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby Rorrak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:26 am

I do agree withThe italian job's thoughts on this.

People will arrive with money to spend, and will likely spend it elsewhere if not on warmachine.

I take my own story for example. I saw warhammer being played at Icon and was immediately taken by it. I chatted with Mark and he gave me his card but I walked away without anything in hand (other than his card).
Two years later I discovered his card in my wallet and drove through to his shop, he not only remembered my name (mind boggles) and set me up with a game vs Andrew Stephens. I was hooked, but I suspect that my story is low percentage. We will get much higher percentage rates of return if people have something invested after totally enjoying their demo game.

Ok, but selling stock may entail us to purchase a stand that I'm sure we can't afford after my investigations for Rage. We might be able to convince Ryan to give us some discount vouchers for his online store. A small amount where the profit on a battle box is reduced but he now has a new customer that will give repeat business. I'm not sure.
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Rorrak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am

I've asked Ryan to come and comment here with his ideas.
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby GeriatricGit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:34 am

Hi guys, appreciate you reaching out. Warmahordes has been a difficult one for us. It's the only system we support that we don't currently hold large amounts of stock for (a discussion for another day). Having said that, we're always happy to continue supporting the community where we can.

We are indeed hoping to attend Icon next year. Should that be the case, we would definitely have stock across all our ranges there and that would include Warmachine/Hordes. Of course, it being a convention, we'd be remiss if we didn't offer con specials as a general rule. What could work is that all new players who do a demo are given a ticket for an additional discount they can use at the stand (over and above any general discounts we run). That would incentivize people not just to look but to participate.

In terms of your proposed day of demos, we'd also be happy to sponsor a bunch of battle boxes for you to run the demos with if needed so players get a feel for what things look like straight out of the box, rather than running the demos only with fully painted battlegroups which can be intimidating. You'd be welcome to keep the demo boxes for similar events in future.

If there's anything else you guys can think of that would help make this a success, let us know.
Pandemonium Games
Webstore: http://www.pandemoniumgames.co.za
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandemoniumGamesSA/

Like us on Facebook to receive regular updates on new stock, events and specials.
GeriatricGit
brigadier-general

Next

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes