Idea for Icon next year.

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

Re: Idea for Icon next year.

Postby und_ed » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 am

All I want to say is that you rock, Gerry.

We will definitely make a plan to get this off the ground with your help.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Rorrak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am

Wow! That's more than I expected. Very cool.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby The italian job » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:46 pm

GeriatricGit wrote:Hi guys, appreciate you reaching out. Warmahordes has been a difficult one for us. It's the only system we support that we don't currently hold large amounts of stock for (a discussion for another day). Having said that, we're always happy to continue supporting the community where we can.

We are indeed hoping to attend Icon next year. Should that be the case, we would definitely have stock across all our ranges there and that would include Warmachine/Hordes. Of course, it being a convention, we'd be remiss if we didn't offer con specials as a general rule. What could work is that all new players who do a demo are given a ticket for an additional discount they can use at the stand (over and above any general discounts we run). That would incentivize people not just to look but to participate.

In terms of your proposed day of demos, we'd also be happy to sponsor a bunch of battle boxes for you to run the demos with if needed so players get a feel for what things look like straight out of the box, rather than running the demos only with fully painted battlegroups which can be intimidating. You'd be welcome to keep the demo boxes for similar events in future.

If there's anything else you guys can think of that would help make this a success, let us know.

Now this sound like a plan!

Due to my work schedule I can't commit to anything so far in time.
Should I be still alive, you're welcome to borrow my 4x4 tables (for the time I should have 2 scenic tables).

I think by default demo games should be played on 3x3 tables and there is even a sort of paper battle matt inside the base box to use, also with dices and a sort of measuring device, but in case you're aiming for something more scenic, give me a shout.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby Rorrak » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:41 pm

I feel we want scenic. The more immersive it looks, the more likely we will get bites. The last time I played fantasy at Icon John and I used our home tables and terrain and made two fantastic looking tables. As a result the crowds of spectators that were attracted were fantastic. To bad GW decided to shut their game off just after that.

As I've said before. I'm not totally on board with the battle box, altered table size games.

I did not start war machine for two additional years because my first exposure was a battle box game and I felt MEH.....

It does not have to be a huge game, just some illustration of the fact that the game has mixed options. A caster, 2 heavy jacks or 1 heavy and 2 lights, a unit and maybe a solo. I recently did a game exactly like this as a demo and it took around 10 minutes.

I don't think anyone can commit to attendance beyond a commitment to try. Who know's what life brings. That said, I commit to being available if available.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby The italian job » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Yeah probably the game size to really have an idea of what this is about is around 35 maybe even 50 points.

I'm quite happy with the table I built and I was busy building recently, even if still work in progress. So will see where this will go, it's still a bit early for discussion but if we can get more people in, for sure I'm happy.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Postby joppie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm

You need a table with a full sized 75 point match going on so people can see what the game is normally about.

And then a few smaller demo tables for people to learn and experience
Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds it's certainty.
joppie
general

Previous

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes