Asking advice on getting started

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

Asking advice on getting started

Postby geekgrrrl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi guys,

So Warmahordes has intrigued me for a long time, but I've always passed it by on account of the cost of YET ANOTHER awesome game being added to my collection. So when the opportunity came around to grab a handful of models for a good price, I jumped and bought these Orboros bits from LDLotter:

Warcasters:
- Kaya the Moonhunter and Laris - R90
- Morvhana the Dawnshadow - R90
- Kromag the Ravenous - R150
- Baldur - R70
Warbeast:
- 2x Warpwolf - R200ea
- Megalith - R200
- Gorax - R100
Solo's:
- Blackclad Wayfarer - R60
- Lord of the Feast - R60
Units:
- Nuala the Huntress - R60

So I like the faction, and they look really cool, but I have no idea where to go from here. I would normally just take some time to absorb the rulebooks and get to know the game organically, but with Pandemonium offering 25% off on Warmahordes stuff till the end of the month, and there being a handful of 2nd-hand Orboros on there, I was hoping I could pick your brains with a couple of questions:

1. I know the models I got were sorta the leftovers from a bigger sale, but do I have the makings of workable list or two in there at least?
2. Are any of the offerings on Pandemonium's site worth getting, both in terms of fitting in with what I already purchased and in terms of price?
3. Irrespective of whether I buy anything from Pandemonium right now or not, any tips on where to go from the collection I have now?
4. Ideally I would like to be able to put together two small battlegroups so my partner and I can play at home - I realise there is an excess of warlocks in there, so are there any obvious units I could proxy them as to bulk out my forces for home play?
5. Does anybody in the Durban area have cheap Warmahordes models they wanna sell? ^_^ (just kidding ... unless there are ... )

Thanks so much guys. For reference, here is Louis' original sale post, along with Pandemonium's Hordes section:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16483
https://www.pandemoniumgames.co.za/collections/hordes
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Re: Asking advice on getting started

Postby und_ed » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Ugh, had a long reply, and the site ate it :roll:

Here's the shorter version:

1) You have some workable lists. Your battlegroup models are solid, but you're short a number of units (Nuala is an attachment, but you need a unit of bloodtrackers to attach her to). Both Kaya and Kromac love big battlegroups, so that's your first place to start.

2) Most of the casters will do you well. Baldur likes rock men, and he has a number of Woldwatchers up on offer, 2 of which would not go amiss. The blackclad could be useful, and the shifting stones are pretty essential. The unit of Wolves of Orborous plus UA is a good deal and pretty nicely painted. Moirag might be nice to join them as well.

3) You're very short on units. The game rewards "themes" quite strongly, so my advice is to strat by picking one of the sub-themes in the faction (Tharn, wolfsworn, druids). Tharn are very popular right now internationally (Ravagers, bloodtrackers), while I like wolfsworn (Wolves of Orborous, Reeves). Sentry stones and Mannikins are really fun as well, not to mention incredibly useful.

4) Instead of punting units, my advice is to get a hold of Warroom. The app is free, but you need to purchase the faction decks (just get the ones you're using for now). Then use the models you have from other systems to proxy and see what appeals to you.

5) I'm not in Durbs, but I have a boatload of Cygnar models available and I'm just a Postnet away. Take a look here if you / partner are interested in the swans. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16470

Hope it's helpful. Feel ask any follow-up questions, and welcome to the best (sadly not the cheapest) tabletop game on the market.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby geekgrrrl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for the feedback und_ed. Lots of really good pointers in there. I am seriously considering the wolves at least as you suggested, though having just spent a bucketload on Infinity I might have to hold off. I have been looking at your Cignar guys with longing, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to take advantage of those as well, though it woulda been awesome to have a second small battlegroup for playing at home with my partner.

How do local players generally feel about proxies and scratchbuilds? I was thinking that those shifting stones are ridiculously easy to model myself, and I've read that you ideally want multiple sets of them to get their full benefit.
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby und_ed » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:16 pm

proxies are fine for friendlies, but the community is pretty hard-assed about them for events.

A good scratch-build is fine, but pay attention to the steamroller conversion guidelines. It's particularly sticky about the appropriate weapons being used.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby geekgrrrl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 am

und_ed wrote:proxies are fine for friendlies, but the community is pretty hard-assed about them for events.

A good scratch-build is fine, but pay attention to the steamroller conversion guidelines. It's particularly sticky about the appropriate weapons being used.

I guess that is understandable - especially the requirements around correct weapons and identifiable features. I read the guidelines and it is much the same as one would expect for 40k or any other tournament game for that matter. :)

Thanks again for the help und_ed. Hope the final sales push goes well :wave:
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes