3+

Discuss all things Warmachine and Hordes related

3+

Postby HordesAddict » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Yo all!

MAJOR problem. Is anyone organizing Hordes/Warmachine at Upcon this year?
I know Psychomime did it last year, but he isn't this year.
I know one of you messaged me on the American forum and said that u were organizing it.
But it does not appear to be on the schedule.
Please, if someone can, organize it.
I do not really feel like fantasy with their rules on painting (discourage new players-BRILLIANT!).

So just a suggestion.

Thanks!
HordesAddict
sergeant

Re: 3+

Postby Rickus » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am

Hi HordesAddict

If I remember correctly, I said that we were thinking of organising something for it, yes - but not necessarily a full tournament yet. As you know, the game is still relatively unknown here, and so we're being very careful about how we run things. A hastily done tournament could do more damage than good.

On the other hand, we are starting to do demonstration games as of this weekend, to increase awareness. If it looks like things are ready, then we will run at least a demo game at Upcon, and then a starter tourney for ICON.

Our club is currently deciding on a course of action. We don't have a Pressganger here (yet - the application should go through soon) and so we want to be very careful about how we portray the game to the community.

If you'd like a more personal answer, PM me or Plxvandyk.

Further updates as we go.

R
Rickus
corporal

Postby Lord_Pawn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 pm

If you need any help in the organization of these tournaments in Pretoria I am willing to help. Having played three tournaments during the existence of this game (started when Warmachine first came out) i am willing to give a few tips.

First off, the BEST way to introduce people to the game is having demo's involving Tooth and Claw or Mangled Metal rules. This is set at 500 points using beasts only with caster kill as the victory conditions or all Jacks/Beasts have been killed, but i bet you all know this. For the people starting out i recommend starter box tournaments with their warcaster or warlock of choice.

The first tournament I played was Mangled Metal tournament with started boxes and it turned out pretty well.

The tournament last year at Upcon was a 500point with the scenarios. The scenario's entailed King of the Hill, Pendulum and Crossed Lines, and of course a normal kill the caster game (4 games total), each game nowadays have time limits, which normally leaves each player at about 5 turns of equal time.

Then finally the tournament can be run which is 750 points with Hardcore rules (caster kill). This gives the player a totally different play style as more points are allowed and of course the use of epic warlock/epic warcasters.

2 cents missing!

Chears
Veteran of the Lael Invasion

"Direct contact is strictly forbidden. Do not test me." -Lortus
"You live now only because I allow it." - Kromac
Lord_Pawn
sergeant

Postby Rickus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Lord Pawn

Thanks for the kind offer for help! Having more experienced players is always a huge help (especially if they have tourney experience). I've been aware of the game(s) since they came out, but funnily enough did not think that any South Africans would play it - and so never bought miniatures, and certainly didn't try to promote the game.

It was only while I was overseas that I saw how awesome the game is - and so brought it back with me. :D

As things stand now, we are almost definitely *not* going to be running a WARMACHINE tournament for UPCON. Pete and I have discussed it at length and we're thinking instead of doing demo stands, with some showpiece models, posters and so on. We will also be running demo games at a couple of other clubs to generate interest.

When ICON comes along, then we're probably going to have a small league. Yes, battlebox games will have to be the way to go initially - MM and T&C. Again, we're creating interest, and so having larger games may not be viable yet.

By the time we get to Into The Fray, I'm pretty sure we'll be running full 500 / 750 point games. Watch this space :wink:
Rickus
corporal

Postby Azmodan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:56 am

If you are going to have some awareness going on at Upcon, involve James form Smelly Troll as well, he usually has a stand there and could probably give you guys some help with promotional material and the like.
Azmodan
general

Postby Lord_Pawn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm

I'll be playing warhammer at Upcon. The thing I think to promote is scenario league play like campaign as well to keep players playing regularly. This is the one thing which makes hordes/warmachine unique. I havn't played any campaigns myself but I keep reading how interesting it can be and would probably be a bonus to get that aspect involved as well. Even if it is in a tournament Environment.

Looking forward to play you guys someday. My wolves are waiting :D .

"Direct contact is strictly forbidden. Do not test me." -Lortus
"You live now only because I allow it." - Kromac
Lord_Pawn
sergeant

Postby PsychoMIME » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:42 am

It's awesome to hear more people are playing like they have a pair.

Normally I would organise something, but I've started studying again through UNISA so my spare CPU time is down.

I'll bring my Khador to UPCON and crush the enemies of the Motherland!
---
Chris Visser
Cabal Events Chair / TTAgent

"Ok you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick!"
PsychoMIME
corporal

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:16 am

He's alive :)

Good to hear from you PsychoMIME ,Glad your coming through to UPCON ,showing of those Khador forces of yours.i will happily meet you Khador forces on the battle field again at UPCON.

If you don not which to Convert to the Creator of all ,you will burn Herectic or you will just burn because we can.
"If you didn't believe in the Creator before, you will today." - Long Gunner Sergeant Terschel Bannock to fresh recruit sent into battle against the Knights Exemplar.
Charles
brigadier-general

Postby PsychoMIME » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:59 pm

You expect the forces of the Motherland to burn? Our souls are so cold you fire has no effect! :D
---
Chris Visser
Cabal Events Chair / TTAgent

"Ok you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick!"
PsychoMIME
corporal

Postby Rickus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

You guys are adorable :)

Anyway, we've now got everything going.

3+ will definitely be hosting a Privateer Press table, with WM/ H starter boxes on sale (courtesy smelly troll), posters and display models. We'll also be hosting a number of demo games and will generally make a noise and drum up interest. :P We've even got t-shirts, for heaven's sake.

This is also a chance for Pretoria players to meet with and get to know the rapidly growing Johannesburg lot. This hobby has a lot of potential and I'm all for getting the community closer. I'm really looking forward to meeting you lads, and this will of course also mean that ICON will be that much more of a grand opening.

So - even those of you playing GW games - bring your models anyway, and give us a go if you have some free time. Let's make this big and loud and let everyone see just how large our "pair" is! :mrgreen:
Rickus
corporal

Return to Warmachine/ Hordes