War of the Ring

Discuss the Lord of the Rings and War of the Rings miniature games here

War of the Ring

Postby Da Ra Kur » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:14 pm

I will be getting the rule book for WotR soon.

Is anyone interested in playing this system?
"Orks neva loozes, weez just resting"
Warboss Da-Ra-Kur of da 3 Kullas
Da Ra Kur
colonel

Re: War of the Ring

Postby Da Ra Kur » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 am

No replies yet, but I some of you have peaked at the post.

I have just skim read a borrowed set of the rules from the Underground, (thanks Paul via Bruce).

They look really cool, quite an intersteing and different take on LotR and large games.

Once I have my own rule set we will do a demo at Warzone to playtest and show case how the rules work. Fortunately I have enough models for a couple of armies.

Will keep you posted and I will drop a post under clubs so more people can see the post.
Da Ra Kur
colonel

Postby Rorrak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:30 am

It does look interesting.

Sorta like a mix between LoTR and Warmaster from what I've heard you say.
I'd be keen on a game or two.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Alqualonde » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 pm

From my reading what looks like a great ruleset I must admit my interest in LotR is once again ignited. I have drawn up a 1500 point Elf list. Can get to 2 500 with a command heavy army! Be good to get those figures into action again. All the armies are listed in the rule book so no Codices or army books needed. Aim to have a game next week
Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Postby Da Ra Kur » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:37 am

Please let us know how it goes.

I may get one in this weekend, depending who I can recruit. I know Rift is keen and so is Bruce, but he's away.

I have enough figures for a couple of armies, probably around the 1500 point mark before adding Epic characters
Da Ra Kur
colonel

Postby Da Ra Kur » Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Rift and I have played 4 games now and it looks very entertaining.

Big armies play fairly quickly. Magic can slow it a bit until you are familiar with your forces.

We thoroughly enjoyed all the games and are now tweaking optimal armies.

The nice thing for people who were put off the skirmish game are:
1) You can build, field and play 1 army. Its fine to play against good and evil
2) The book contains everything, rules army lists, tables etc. (they may bring out supplements later for additional rules, but for now its self contained)
3) You can get all your models out now and have them play. Allies are up to 25% of force value so you can field Treebeard with your Gondor force etc.
4) It just looks cool

Play is deploy, then each turn roll for priority, winner chooses who goes first.

Each turn then does move phase, shoot phase, charge phase and fight phase. Each player does each phase before you move onto the next phase.

We will try and get a couple of demo games going after Warcon.
Da Ra Kur
colonel

Postby Rorrak » Mon May 11, 2009 9:16 am

This system was looking pretty good to me till the discovery of the super heavy hitters. The Nine being one of the big culprits.

I have no clue why GW makes good rulesets that seem to make for fun games and then add in these super heavy's that essentially force you to bring your own super heavy and 90% of the game play is lost in favor of hero quest. Arrrghhh!!

I'm really glad I did not invest any money into this yet.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Rift » Mon May 11, 2009 11:35 am

I’ve played 1 game with the nine, and they are pretty hard core.... but after re-playing the battle in my head over and over and over again....yes i do these things to myself... I’ve realised that they’re not as hard as you might think.

The big thing for them is spirit grasp which allows them to hit against Courage instead of Defence. And they are only Strength 4...this means for most of it I’ll be hitting on 4s. This is great, bypassing heavy armoured units defence is awesome.

But this does nothing for me absorbing a charge from cavalry, you still hit first and you still get your 6 bonus dice per company in contact. With lances, you probably looking at 6s which’s means 5s.

Ah and if you’re elves, well there is one hero that can negate one of a formations spirit abilities... ok, spirit grasp doesn’t work, and all of the sudden the nine is in deep trouble.
This doesn’t mean you have to build an elf list, you can always take him as an ally in any good army.

Now the 9 is hard, coming with a resilience of 2, defence of 8 and 9 might.... but remember they are 500pts, that’s 25% of your army gone @ 2000. Now if I have to go up against some siege bows, let’s say 2 formations of 3, then I’m in deep trouble, pushing out 6 shots on the artillery table at str 8, The nine, is gonna get hurt.

Oh and remember, only the Witch King is a hero, so charge the unit with a weak company with an ok hero, don’t worry about him being hard core, just make sure he has a fight skill of 6, declare a duel, ... be sure to declare first, and it’s a roll off with your hero having a plus 1 on the roll. Now if you kill him the 9 loses their 9 might points and becomes less of a threat.

I must say I think the armies are pretty well balanced, on quick glance some of the units seems pretty Uber, but looking more closely you’ll realise that they have some serious weaknesses.
I think the heroes are pretty cool right now, but as we get more competent in the game player will move away from having 3 of 4 heroes and end up with 1 and then a lot of captains and more formations on the table.

It’s an awesome game system that rivals fantasy, and in some levels are even better. There is magic, but there is no way it can cripple your opponent’s army to the extent of Fantasy. The game will definitely go faster. Its more strategic, lining up the right charges, but the charge can be taken away from you by your opponent spending a might point at the right time declaring a heroic charge and taking the element of surprise and initiative.

Also what really stood out for me was, the objective based missions; they are very intense as there is no telling who is winning up until the game ends. You might have all objectives on turn 7 and then that unit gets hit by a flying monster of cavalry, you lose the combat, and you’ve just given all of the objectives to your opponent. So in other words even if I have only 1 formation left on the table I can still win.

It has my vote and I’ll gladly invest in this system.
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Rorrak » Mon May 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Ahh. I could have said things better. This is probably a great game for some. Its just not for me.

If I'm going to buy and paint up a lot of models then I really want what you do on the battle field to matter more than the choices you make at list design time.
As it stands it seems very rock/paper/scissors to me. I don't like that much in game that uses LOTS of models. In Warmachine its fine because of the low model counts.
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Rift » Mon May 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Should play a couple of games first before you decide.
Death, destruction and decay, the worst of which is death.... and DEATH will have its DAY!!

"...Cellar Door..."
Rift
general

Postby Da Ra Kur » Mon May 11, 2009 3:32 pm

I would definitely give it a try before dismissing it and before investing in it.

It is a bit rock/paper/scissors, but unlike the hand game, you actually are the one who decides how you deploy the three. For example hitting infantry with a monster ad cavalry will probably blow them away, its making sure that happens where the skill lies.

As Rift says, you can pull the cat out of the fire if you play wisely. Rift was beating me no end until a timely charge with Knights of Dol Amroth destroyed his Uruk-hai formation in one charge, grabbed the hobbits and ran, thus winning in about the last turn.

For me after the few games we have played it is cool for many reasons - I get to play with lots of my LotR figures, the game plays well, its fast, and for me I prefer it significantly over Fantasy so far as you are less at the mercy of events.
Da Ra Kur
colonel

Return to Lord of the Rings