finally got this latest kings of war rules set

Discuss the Kings of War mass combat fantasy game from Mantic Games.

finally got this latest kings of war rules set

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:52 am

And was horrified to discover that my massive collections barely make the 2k mark, and a number of units just don't have enough models for this system.

So I'm kinda wondering if other guys trying to take their 2k warhammer stuff over are going to bother with buying more stuff, or just flog that crap.

I though I had a lot of zombies, then discovered that I'm actually short for fielding two hordes of these things. And its not like they cost much in the way of points, but the though of carting 300 + models around is rather unpleasant.

Anybody else finding a problem with swapping over due to number of models involved?
I have this disease called "Awesome".
You wouldn't understand because you don't have it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Re: finally got this latest kings of war rules set

Postby Dark Angel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:37 am

I think if you do the whole less models on a set base thingi you can make it work. Also from what I understand 2k is not the tournament size.
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:52 am

You should take a look at your collection and calculate it in kings of war terms.

I'm not rebasing my stuff. Way too much work for toy soldiers.

Also, a lot of GW specified stuff falls away, and that makes it an even harder punch.

But, at least there's 5th ed style allies in there. Just not the cool units. But it is in there.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:43 am

Oh, and one more thing, given the way the rules work, I am officially playing undead with this kings of war system. My other armies are not that compatible.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Azimyth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

I don't know why you're having problems converting your old GW armies into Kings of War. My 2500 point Dark Elf list fit into 2000 points of Twilight Kin. I had to drop units that don't exist like the Cauldron of Blood, but am otherewise quite happy with my lists in general.
Two hordes of Zombies is 80 models maximum or 42 minimum, or are you thinking legions which have 60 models as the maximum?
Also feilding a hero on a big monster goes through a lot of points
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
FAQed up by the FAQing FAQs.
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Postby Azimyth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:53 am

Captain Sensible wrote:Oh, and one more thing, given the way the rules work, I am officially playing undead with this kings of war system. My other armies are not that compatible.

Why aren't they compatible? High Elves translate quite nicely into Elven Kin and Dark Elves into Twilight Kin
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Postby Doc Rot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:06 pm

What do you have in the way of models? If you have 63 zombies then that translates to 3 hordes (with 21 models on each base). You don't need to "rebase" everything either. Just cut out bases from a material (i.e. cork, thin ply, thick cardboard, real estate agents signs i.e. whatever you can get your hands on) to the correct size, and then put your modes on it when you play.

You can use things like the Black Coach, Cauldron of Blood as unit fillers. I.e. Black Coach in the middle of a legion of zombies, will fill up a big chunk of the base footprint meaning you need less zombies to fill out the rest of the base.
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Doc Rot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Azimyth wrote:I don't know why you're having problems converting your old GW armies into Kings of War. My 2500 point Dark Elf list fit into 2000 points of Twilight Kin. I had to drop units that don't exist like the Cauldron of Blood, but am otherewise quite happy with my lists in general.
Two hordes of Zombies is 80 models maximum or 42 minimum, or are you thinking legions which have 60 models as the maximum?
Also feilding a hero on a big monster goes through a lot of points

Twilight Kin lord on Dragon = 310pts with a Vampire Lord on Dragon costing 330pts! Even some of the Undead special heroes are close to 300pts for a single model. E.g. you could use Isabella von Carstein as Lady Illona. There's 280 odd points right off the bat.

Re the basing, you just need to get your craft knife out and start making some fixed base sizes.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 pm

a horde of zombies is 60. I only have 100 painted up.

Then there's the skeletons, I only have 70 painted. Eventually I'll paint up another 20, but that's still about 20 shy of the hordes I'd use.

Plus those elves, there aren't twilight or whatnots in the book, there's just elves. Wood elves don't translate, and neither do the dark elves.

Anyway, not serious, cos its not my main gaming system, but if I get too misty eyed, I'll need to play it with you lot. So that's why I'll stick to the undead for this.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Azimyth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Twilight Kin are a free list available on the mantic website: http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE%20RULES/twilightkin-v006.pdf
Woes Elves can be done with Elf Armies or Twilight Kin.
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Postby Doc Rot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Just lost all the bloody stuff I wrote. EFFs Sake!

Right, I'll try again.

Horde =40 models, Legion =60 models

So using MMC (Minimum Model Count) on the zombies which would be 21 models for a horde and 31 for a Legion, 11 for a regiment. 100 will give you 3 legions or 4 hordes plus a regiment which all in all is about 600pts ish.

The 70 Skeletons will give you 3 hordes and a troop which depending on what they are armed with will give you about 600pts. Alternatively you can use your skeletons as Revenants, just tell your opponent (or if you have Black Guard or whatever they were called use them).

Undead Cavalry are Mounted Revenants.

Sure you had Crypt Horrors, which will easily translate to Undead Trolls.

Chuck in some Heroes (vampires, necromancers, wight lords etc) and Bob's your Uncle, you've got an army!

Spirit Hosts also easily translate to Wraiths.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Doc Rot » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Also Wood Elves can translate to Forces of Nature easy enough.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Alqualonde » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Doc Rot wrote:
So using MMC (Minimum Model Count) on the zombies which would be 21 models for a horde and 31 for a Legion, 11 for a regiment. 100 will give you 3 legions or 4 hordes plus a regiment which all in all is about 600pts ish.

Can't imagine using zombies in less than a legion. I like the MMC though 31 will look a bit paltry. Probably go for a bit more. Doubt I'll ever use 3 legions so around 50 would do
Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Doc Rot wrote:Also Wood Elves can translate to Forces of Nature easy enough.

No, they really don't. I don't like proxying a piece of coke can for a chariot and kak like that. I want a decent spectacle in my games, and so my friend on the other side can tell at a glance what he's facing just by looking at it.

Twilight kin download? Why weren't they in the book then?

I made big horde size bases for warhammer long ago. I'm not making more of the same for this. That [removed] takes up a lot of space.

As for the zombie trolls, way ahead of you, those crap horrors were such kak models I made ogre zombies instead. Pity those vargheists and terrorchrist and black coach and coven throne and stuff can't be used. That's why I'll be relying on the hordes of bits and whatnots to such a degree.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Azimyth » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:33 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:
Doc Rot wrote:Also Wood Elves can translate to Forces of Nature easy enough.

No, they really don't. I don't like proxying a piece of coke can for a chariot and kak like that. I want a decent spectacle in my games, and so my friend on the other side can tell at a glance what he's facing just by looking at it.

Gotta agree. If you've gone the Elven route with woes elves, they don't convert at all. Forces of Nature is more an amalagamation of The Herd(GW Beastmen), Salamander(GW Lizardmen) and Trident Realms. Those last three come out of the uncharted empires book

Captain Sensible wrote:Twilight kin download? Why weren't they in the book then?

Something about the fluff and redoing them to suit mantic's world.
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Next

Return to Kings of War