Clash of Kings

Discuss the Kings of War mass combat fantasy game from Mantic Games.

Clash of Kings

Postby Doc Rot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:28 am

Hey up all,

Do any of you lot use Clash of Kings tournament rules pack? Either in casual play or tournament/league/campaign play? We don't use it full stop down here in the East, adopting the attitude of if you can't deal with these things, you need to up your game rather than dumb down somebody else's (not that people spam stuff down here), play super beardy etc.

Doc
A stranger in a strange land

Visit the Eastern Cape Warlords - Wargaming Club at
www.facebook.com/easterncapewarlords
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Re: Clash of Kings

Postby DaImp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:20 am

We aren't using it up in JHB, there hasn't been a need to comp anything.
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby DaImp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:37 am

As far as I can tell though, there aren't really any comp rules in the Clash of Kings pack. It got rules on tournament scoring and such but nothing that alters the army construction process.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Doc Rot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:43 am

It brings flying down a notch, prevents magic items on allies, limits things to the rule of 3 i.e. no more than 3 units of zombies etc, and alters the defence of a Cursed Pharaoh to 5+ instead of 6+.

But agreed, we don't see the need to limit peoples creativity down here. Our view is, if you can't handle what someone's bringing, then your not playing to your army's strengths. Everything has a paper, scissors and stone element and people have quickly learnt, that a balanced playstyle/army build is the most effective way to play. SPAM armies are beaten very easily I find.

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby DaImp » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:34 am

Ah ok, I must have an older copy of the tournament rules on my computer.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Decaysa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Flyers lose flying (and nimble given by flying) when disordered, No magical items on allies, maximum 3 of the same monster, siege weapon or hero. maximum 1 of the same monster, siege weapons or hero, in allied force.

I actually believe all these changes to be great changes to the game in theory especially the spam restrictions and to a lesser degree the magic items on allies. That said, practically I have not seen a single list that would run afoul of the spirit of these changes.
Most players are still learning the game and reading the rulebook, there would simply be no benefit to us to complicate matters at this point in time.

Obviously my opinion on this may change the first time someone shows up with a goblin list with 8 war trombones and 8 wizards. Or if half the lists have ogre shooters with keen eyes as allies... But it's simply not something we have to worry about yet.
Louis Lotter.
3+ member
Lives in Midrand.
Decaysa
corporal

Postby Doc Rot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 pm

That whole Breath weapon and fireball spam thing being effective is a bit of a myth. One of the guys down here tried it with efreets and magus things. It got squished pretty easily. But agreed, the way we play the game as a community doesn't really warrant any changes

Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby und_ed » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Don't write it off that quickly, Doc.

I play breath weapon and fireball heavy (only 2 models, but it's 40 shots at Piercing 1 or 2) and it's exceptionally effective. I can definitely see the desire to limit spamming such things.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

und_ed wrote:I play breath weapon and fireball heavy (only 2 models, but it's 40 shots at Piercing 1 or 2) and it's exceptionally effective.

Gee, there's a surprise. Unded maxing out on kak to annoy everyone who plays him.

Nice one buddy.
I have this disease called "Awesome".
You wouldn't understand because you don't have it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Return to Kings of War