GW tournament rules

Chat about all things Age of Sigmar

GW tournament rules

Postby The italian job » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:33 pm

GW has been running some events at warhammer world using Age of Sigmar ruleset without any composition.

They just said to bring your collection and choose for each game around 30 models. You have 15 minutes to discuss your list with your opponent and make a decision based on what both players play. You can deploy more than 30 models if your list is a horde list.

The winner of the even isn't decided on game results but on best game votes. At the end of the tournament each player will vote for a opponent he regarded as best opponent. In case of a draw then who has more victories then win the tournament. Basically the winning decision is not based in any way on how many games you won but on how entertaining is your game.

You opponent can vote you based on the aspect of your army, composition, how you played and so on.

If you player a cheesy and boring list, you will probably not be voted. If you play with a ton of unpainted or poorly painted models, you will probably not be voted. If you're the [removed] sphincter that rule layer your oppo to death, you will probably not be voted.
So you need to ensure your army and list is built to give to your opponent the best possible experience instead of winning games.

What do you think about this? I think isn't too bad.
Mi dispiace, ma io so' io e voi non siete un cazzo!
The italian job
major

Re: GW tournament rules

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 am

And people say GW has not lost the plot. Cool idea for a game day if you are 12. But this is insane as an actual tournament idea. In its original rules this game should never be played out of casual play.
Bruce
Fanboi of the year 2011

Postby Danie Smit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:59 am

Well, i agree that as a TOURNAMENT rules set, this isn't the way to go. Sure, as a fun event day go for it. For a tournament you want to pitch and play to win - this is the point of the game.

GW have on their FB page said that if you want points, you should use one of the many fan made points systems out there. I agree. GW wont use this themselves, which is why the Warhammer World rules are as above.

Also note - 8th Ed had the same rules as above (vote for the winner) so this is nothing new.
'SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE' he shouted, trembling with rage.
'SETTRA RULES'
Danie Smit
general

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:07 am

Did they really do this for 8th ed. That is insane. AOS in its full rules as intended by GW is silly game to played super casual by friends. Once you comp or what it really means fix you can have a playable game. But this could have be done for other editions as well. if they say use the fan made points systems and rules, I feel it would be better for GW to make no rules and set a fan testing page and publish just the best fan rules. Become a fantasy model company and leave the rules to gamers who would generally do a better job. In your sleep Danie you could set up a better balanced rules system.
Bruce
Fanboi of the year 2011

Postby Dark Angel » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 am

I don't think you can create a games system and then walk away from it when people ask you how to play with it in a competitive environment.

Looks like GW are starting to realise that (probably only because their sales have taken a hit).

http://www.spikeybits.com/2016/03/must-see-gw-bringing-organized-play-back.html
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby Danie Smit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:43 am

Bruce wrote:AOS in its full rules as intended by GW is silly game to played super casual by friends. Once you comp or what it really means fix you can have a playable game.

Well, the only real 'fix' we've done for the game is a points system and some minor tweeks. The game system and rules are really very intuitive, and when you actually spend some time looking into it you'll note that a lot of work went into the creation of this game

Bruce wrote:In your sleep Danie you could set up a better balanced rules system.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but i seriously doubt it. As i said, a LOT of work went into this game

Dark Angel wrote:GW Organised play

The organised play is only really some prize support (some tokens and such, maybe vouchers, im not sure) and the above warhammer world style rules.

Warhammer was never a fully balanced game, or tournament game - never will be. I do however feel that AoS is a brilliant game and has the potential of being as tournament capable as 8th, 7th and 6th was. We just need to make it so
'SETTRA RULES'
Danie Smit
general

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:58 am

Is till cant see it that effort went into the rules. The no points limit is a huge thing and summoning is another. The actual rules cover movement, cover and how to fight and cast spells. I feel that no model or points limits, sudden death and crazy summoning are about half of the 4 page rule book. By adding lots of rules this can be playable and competitive but that is due to the players trying to fix GW's mess.

How do you guys handle shooting as without modifiers lone models get shot off quickly.

I played a free for all game. Took 5 models and dropped the equivalent of 1300 8th ed points in turn one on average dice.

I do however love the power the carnosaur, bastiladon and stegadon have. They are amazing.

Do you count wall cover in combat so 2 models fighting over a wall get +1 save each.
Bruce
Fanboi of the year 2011

Postby und_ed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:10 am

The whole "4-page-ruleset" notion is a fallacy.

Any game's rules are the sum of all its rules, and AoS has a pretty lengthy ruleset once you include (as you must) all the army rules. It's actually a pity imo - a true 4-page-ruleset would have been much more appealing.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:36 am

I agree ed. I was trying to say ignore the unit rules but by fixing a few global rules you get a big change on the 4 page global rules.
Bruce
Fanboi of the year 2011

Postby Danie Smit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:04 pm

true hey, this game is most definitely not just 4 pages of rules. however the 4 pages are the core to be able to play.

The rules on the 50 odd battleplans (scenarios), 10 or so time of war rules (realm specific rules), hundreds of warscrolls (including terrain) and lots of formations are enough to drive anyone dilly if taken in at once. I mean, almost every shield in the different armies are different. Flavourful - yes. Painful... urk

That's why we're doing 'slow grow' at Warzone, getting into the rules bit by bit for now. We're at 25 points now, and if i put my army i played last week into 8ed terms, it was roughly 1000pts.

Warzone houserules are only for amending the core rules (and summoning). That reminds me, i need to upload a new version of the rules now...
'SETTRA RULES'
Danie Smit
general

Postby und_ed » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Go nuts.

For what it's worth, I do like your approach of only modifying global rules. If you're going to mess with the rules as written, at least you do it even-handedly by only going after the global rules so everyone is effected.

AoS is picking up pretty well, so good job there.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Return to Age of Sigmar