Saga Second Ed. (updated after first trial game)

A place to talk about SAGA from Gripping Beast

Re: Saga Second Ed. (updated after Crisis official demo game

Postby DaImp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Hahahahah... I know. You are on my list!
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby DaImp » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Here's a decent podcast focusing on SAGA
https://www.buzzsprout.com/69172/579312 ... episode-12
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby geekgrrrl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:15 pm

DaImp wrote:Here's a decent podcast focusing on SAGA
https://www.buzzsprout.com/69172/579312 ... episode-12

Thanks for the link! Now to quickly download it before the power goes out again...
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm

And the first batch of Saga 2 rulebooks have landed in SA. Thanks Pandemonium Games for being on the ball....
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby GeriatricGit » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Unfortunately not enough! We ordered extra books but we had a late surge of interest right before they arrived and ended up not having enough. More on the way though.
Pandemonium Games
Webstore: http://www.pandemoniumgames.co.za
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PandemoniumGamesSA/

Like us on Facebook to receive regular updates on new stock, events and specials.
GeriatricGit
brigadier-general

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:26 am

Its back to school for all Saga players at PWG. Foundation Phase classes begin next Thursday.

First impressions:
Rulebook: Slick. High production standards. More coherent and concise than Ed 1. Scenarios MIA. Priests MIA.
Viking Age: Slick. Lots of factions (they have included use of boards from A&A and C&C e.g. Frisians! Umayyads! Scenarios MIA.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 am

Played my first game of 2nd Edition.

First impressions are good, and my concerns (about what would be lost between editions) have been allayed.

Overall, I think the there is a fresh precision in the wording of the rules (concise and coherent) that translates into a precision (or a lack of grey areas) and speed in play. Clear and simple resolution of actions.

Overall, I think the game has been made quicker to play. Not only by the crisp rules, but also by the way Saga dice are generated and used, and the addition of free activations for units remote from the action.

Overall, I think the game is "busier" - more dice on the board, more units activating per turn. Stuff happens more quickly.

And I think the new edition will be both a better tournament ruleset and a better beer and pretzel ruleset. Precision for the competition gamer, simplicity for the casual gamer. And it remains a great skirmish engine which will be easily adapted to scenario specific rules... for example: to allow more nuanced movement for a game dense in terrain (city fight, dungeon crawl) you can keep the straight-line movement restriction but shorten the "module" from M to S or VS, for example.

I hauled out my Scots (to see if they could still fight in 2nd Ed) and the board felt fresh but familiar. It had the same timing to it (i.e. playing primarily in your turn, but still with a strong involvement in your opponents turn) but the abilities seem simpler to activate (less emphasis on complex synergies, fewer restrictions on using abilities). I am not sure all the new boards have the same "familiarity" - certainly there are club members grumbling that they will have to review all their tactics in the light of the changes.

The changes to the mustering rules means that levy-heavy forces are now more viable, and the equipment choices are broader. Javelin-armed Scots appear to be viable (they were such a poor choice in 1st Ed that I dont have any painted up), as would a mix of bow and javelin levy units. I think we will see a greater diversity of force builds.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby The BAG » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 am

Golf Alpha Zulu wrote:Its back to school for all Saga players at PWG. Foundation Phase classes begin next Thursday.

First impressions:
Rulebook: Slick. High production standards. More coherent and concise than Ed 1. Scenarios MIA. Priests MIA.
Viking Age: Slick. Lots of factions (they have included use of boards from A&A and C&C e.g. Frisians! Umayyads! Scenarios MIA.

question:

are there factions in the rulebook?
AKA Saul.
Painting table:2 custom trolls
30 old high elf monopose spearmen
savage orc shaman
the walking dead starter
Horde of fleabags (riders only)
http://www.mhpromo.co.za
http://www.fairlabour.co.za
The BAG
general

Re: Saga Second Ed. (updated after first trial game)

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 am

are there factions in the rulebook?

Not a one.

The rulebook is a slim soft cover volume (50 pages).

The Age of Vikings book is hard cover 72 pages with 12 battle boards. In addition to the 12 factions supplied, there are rules for using 3 boards from the Arthurian Age book, and 1 from the Crusades book.

The Aetius and Arthur (Arthurian Age) book is hard cover (? pages) with 6 battle boards. In addition to the 6 factions supplied, there are rules for using 4 (IIRC) boards from the Viking Age book.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Got my hands on the Age of Crusades book recently, and IMHO it is such an improvement on the earlier edition.

Twelve boards - many with sub factions or variations, and 6 options for using variations on Viking Age or A&A boards. Includes the Eastern and Baltic crusades, in addition to the Western and Levantine Crusades.

It also strikes me as being a great "bridge" between the Dark Age book and the forthcoming Medieval Age book that has been touted by Studio Tomahawk. Some of the Age of Crusade forces are "late" in the timeline, and could fit well into the early medieval age...

My only regret is that its been published so soon after the Viking Age book - was just planning some new VA forces, and now my attention has been grabbed by some interesting Crusades options. Baltic pagans, anyone?
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Rorrak » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Are there any players in JHB?

The fact that Pandemonium carries the line is helpful, should I be interested.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:35 pm

There definitely are JHB players, but I have no idea if they play as part of organized clubs.

If you are on Farcebook, there is a "Saga South Africa" group which could give you some idea of who local to you is playing the game.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Rorrak » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks. They added me pretty quick. Not a lot of members yet but that could change.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby DaImp » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:28 pm

We are playing SAGA at 3+
There's around 6 of us playing at the moment. The plan is to get more games going after ICON, so if you feel like joining up give me a shout :)
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Rorrak » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Would absolutely like a demo game or 10 :)
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

PreviousNext

Return to SAGA