Why KZN players don't attend tourneys

A space for all Warhammer clubs in KZN to announce club tournament dates and events as well as just chat

Why KZN players don't attend tourneys

Postby Chaplain-Librarian Marcus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:07 pm

Coz we don't hear about 'em, can't arrange transport etc plus we don't seem to fit very well with schools - more than half our players are students! Come on guys, seriously, 14-16 yr olds can't exactly drive up to Gauteng for a wkend tournament and finish that history assignment due for monday and that's when we do hear about this stuff - first solid evidence that I've seen of nationals was here on this forum - The whole reason I got the interschool drive going was to try and form a KZN regional!

I think basically it boils down to communication issues - maybe I'm just babbling but at least a few of the reasons are there. Oh, and "Lazy 40k players"? Again - we're students!(So things like girls, homework, girls, spots, girls etc still hold some appeal - Lol! :wink: Jst kidding but yeah...)

Chaplain-Librarian Marcus
corporal

Postby Rorrak » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:07 am

Whats wrong with the information being available only here ?

Are you really asking that the organizers maintain a list of known phone numbers / email addresses and contact everyone personally ?

I know thats not what you are asking for but its not clear from your post what you would like to see in terms of communication.

Surely its not hard to access this site at least once a week to check whats going on in your hobby ? How about one club member checking this site and then relaying the information to the other club members ?
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby DaImp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:08 am

I think the first step is to get regular tournaments being played in KZN, form at least one annual tournament. I suspect you may find a number of Gauteng players making the trip down to Durban if there was such a tournament (with decent numbers). So even if most players in KZN can't make it to tournaments outside of their province, they can at least experience a few games a year against players from other regions.

And I think you are wrong about KZN players not attending tournaments, there were 3 or 4 KZN players at the ICON tournament in JHB recently and I know there will be players coming up to JHB for the Nationals.

Since this site was started there has not been a tournament in KZN advertised - there have been a few noises about getting one started but nothing has come of it. To the knowledge of most of us there is little Warhammer activity in KZN so it is little surprise that KZN is not on the radar of most gamers. The same could have been said for the gamers in Bloemfontein until around this time last year when they emerged out of the mists to host a tournament and reveal a solid gaming community there. They have since hosted a regional tournament and had several players attending the nationals last year. So the point? If you can't get to other tournaments, start your own. KZN deserves a tournament!
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Severian » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:30 am

If you need tourneys closer to home the obvious answer is to organize some. I realize that it is easier said than done but if you don't do it who will. If you ask for advise on this forum there are quite a few people with the skills, experience and the inclination to give you some good advice.

Best of luck 8)
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Azmodan - Jetbike archon "Charge the Monkeigh!... By Khaine where did those wheels come from.. arrgh" plummets to the ground floor *CRASH*
Severian
general

Not blaming anyone except the lazy...

Postby Chaplain-Librarian Marcus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:27 am

I know I know - this forum is a godsend for communication - Just bite my head off willya? Seriously tho - I had never heard of a lot of what happens in SA until I was referred to this forum...And why do you think I'm trying to organise schools Severian? It's happening - KZN will have its own regional soon...I hope.
corporal

Re: Not blaming anyone except the lazy...

Postby DaImp » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Chaplain-Librarian Marcus wrote:Seriously tho - I had never heard of a lot of what happens in SA until I was referred to this forum...

That is entirely why this forum was started. :)
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Baldrick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Marcus,

if you need any help or advice regarding tournaments, or organizing 'things' let us know, we are only too happy to help.

A number of the JHB and PTA clubs have students and scholars as club members, and so they have experience with dealing with the associated 'problems' that come with this group of players.

What you do need to do is find someone to represent 'everyone' in the Durban/KZN region, or two or three people. These people/person needs to communicate with others around the country, organise events, and generally get things going. The 3 major clubs in Gauteng operate like this, so does the club in Bloem, and Severian is the rustenburg representative. In that way, we all help improve communication and build this hobby. But someone has to take responsibility for this, and must be committed. Its no easy job, but with anything in life, if you want it to succeed, you need to put some effort into it, and commitment. Some gamers are happy just to sit around and watch while others organise and make things happen (thats life). If it wasn't for these people, those gamers would not have a hobby, and would be sitting at home staring at thier models. This happens globally, but forums like this, and dedicated gamers within regions help ensure the growth and sustainability of this hobby. We have waited a long time for KZN, Bloem and CPT. Now we have Bloem on borad (thanks to Vortigen), and your interst from KZN looks promising. If only we could get something out of CPT. I believe there are about 120 GW gamers in the CPT region, and I do not think one of them logs onto this forum (with exception of the guys in the EC).

So, if you need help/advice/suggestions, we are here to help. I am also going to check on the SA40K yahoo groups mailing list if there are any KZN members on the mailing list, as i am sure there has been communication with KZN gamers on that mail group. Will let you know.....

Yours thankfully

8)
Baldrick
"What we got here is a failure to communicate".....Ordo Hereticus
Baldrick
general

Postby Severian » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:17 pm

Baldrick wrote: and Severian is the rustenburg representative.
Baldrick

I am? Is there money involved? Do I get a t-shirt?Are there "benefits"? :D

My mom is going to be so proud, I've been elected to office due to a total lack of anybody else being available! :wink: I shall do my best to rise to the occasion, I want to thankl my dog Bob and my Car guard steve and .... :o

Back on topic, really hope you get it of the ground Marcus.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
Azmodan - Jetbike archon "Charge the Monkeigh!... By Khaine where did those wheels come from.. arrgh" plummets to the ground floor *CRASH*
Severian
general

Postby Rorrak » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:11 am

Back on topic, really hope you get it of the ground Marcus.

For sure, I'd really like to see a KZN-Regionals for you guys.

I know of a few guys running a club at westville library that would certainly attend. If you don't know about them drop me a PM and I can shoot you off some contact details.
They're something terribly satisfying about personally murdering the enemy wizard-general. Wracking them is cathartic, like squeezing a great big stress ball, except you're strapping it to a massive metal religious icon and it's screaming. -cryptomancer
Rorrak
Member of the year 2011

Postby Chaplain-Librarian Marcus » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 pm

I actually belong to both clubs in existance in KZN known to this forum funny enough... Doncha love being 17? :lol: Any news of other KZN gamers would be much appreciated - It's taken a year to get to this point where starting a tourney in KZN will be feasible. Oh, and BTW does anyone actually have any ideas for BC? Check thread in 40k section the Ork players are driving me nuts and I need help with promotion rules. Thanks

Isaiah 7:9b
If you do not stand in your faith you will not stand at all
corporal

Re: Why KZN players don't attend tourneys

Postby Eonblue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 pm

this is hilarious!!!!

sure its many many moons ago... but damn its funny.
we have plenty of tourneys and events now. and if anyone reads this and doesn't know about them then you are sleeping
Eonblue
corporal

Return to KwaZulu-Natal Clubs