Wednesday Night Wargame (20/04/16)

Talk about Bolt Action from Warlord Games

Wednesday Night Wargame (20/04/16)

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:55 am

Bolt Action in 15mm: British Guards Armoured vs Kampfgruppe X

Don't try this at home! Using the Bolt Action Tank War selector; 6 players; 3 commands per side (about 21 order dice total per side); a 6 x 4 table divided into 3 sectors (2 x 4); and a mechanism designed to speed up player's decision-making* this made for a very quick and bloody game. The only sector where things slowed down was the village on the German left flank, where infantry had to fight house to house.

However, within 4 turns, the disadvantages of relying on open-topped M10s became apparent, as their crews kept their heads down to mitigate the threat of constant small-arms fire.

* We decided that each bound ended immediately after two out of the three sectors had finished their turn - meaning the sector with the slowest play might not get to use their full quota of order dice....

Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Re: Wednesday Night Wargame (20/04/16)

Postby mikegeyser » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Epic! Looks like so much fun!
mikegeyser
corporal

Postby DaImp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 am

How does Bolt Action play in 15mm? I take it you are using Flames of War miniatures.
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:31 am

Bolt Action is designed to be played on a 6 x 4 table, so has a very compact ground scale. In 28mm, ranges of movement and weapons are relatively short compared to the scale of the figures. So it translates very well into 20mm and 15mm. We keep everything the same - movement and weapon ranges. If we went to 6mm or 10mm (something we haven't tried), I would think simply using centimetres in place of inches would work fine.

The biggest issue - which is not big at all - is that the BA rules assume single-based infantry figures, so when using multi-based infantry stands (15mm or smaller) you need to count casualties as well as pins (second marker per unit). (Lots of players multi-base support weapons teams anyway, so casualty marking often happens in 28mm too).

That said, with all the BA games played with 15mm and 20mm miniatures, we have used the Bolt Action Tank War supplemental rules, not the original BA rules. The Tank War selector reduces infantry to a supporting role - limiting the number of squads and infantry-based supports like snipers, medics, officers, MGs etc - and allows tanks to be selected in units. (This is a complete inverse of the original platoon+ scale of BA, which built its selector around a core of infantry units, with very limited armour support.) So its really BA Tank War that is suited to using 15mm, as you are not delving down into the finer details of infantry figure placement too much.

And we normally (and happily) use 28mm for Tank War. It looks spectacular - and between them the PWG players can amass some very large tank forces in 28mm...

I am not sure of the manufacturers of all the 15mm forces on that table (I didn't supply any of the figures): some might well be FoW miniatures, but I know plenty also came from Forged in Battle, PSC and Peter Pig. In the past, the club used both Command Decision and FoW when playing in 15mm.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Andre Muller » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 pm

looks so cool and great mechanic RE the turns and speeding up orders
Andre Muller
major

Return to Bolt Action