Dolt Action in Gauteng

Talk about Bolt Action from Warlord Games

Dolt Action in Gauteng

Postby Hyogai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I want in! Who plays, what scale, and where. Fess up! Looks like the only okes mucking about with this are in Slaapstad.

Thanks!
Rooster
It's the Year of the Rooster!
Hyogai
corporal

Re: Dolt Action in Gauteng

Postby Azimyth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:37 pm

I think Flames of War has a bigger following in Gauteng if you want WW2 action otherwise maybe Alqualonde can help you out
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
FAQed up by the FAQing FAQs.
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Postby Hyogai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:12 pm

I think that's the way to go... I prefer 15mm scale anyway.

Which ruleset is better, FoW or BA? Do you know?
Hyogai
corporal

Postby Hyogai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:26 pm

:think:

:eh:

:wtf:

Flames of War will bankrupt me.... holy [removed].
Hyogai
corporal

Postby Azimyth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Hyogai wrote:Which ruleset is better, FoW or BA? Do you know?

No idea, haven't looked at either system
Hyogai wrote:Flames of War will bankrupt me.... holy [removed].

Good or bad bankrupt? Good if its because you want to buy all the toys, bad if you HAVE to buy all the toys
Religion: A cult for the masses
God Protect Me ... From Your Followers
FAQed up by the FAQing FAQs.
Azimyth
brigadier-general

Postby Hyogai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Extra medium Bankrupt?

I have just played around with their webstore and added one soviet platoon box each to the shopping cart on Now.... it's a metric farktonne of little mannetjies and vehicles... but it comes to over $1,100 US... then there's no extras, buildings, planes etc.

The basic unit of movement is the platoon... so while I don't know much else about the rules, it strikes me as being a bit money-beardy, ie the best toys win. Dunno, I might be talking from my sphincter.

They don't seem to have any starter sets either (unlike BA) so it appears to be a very niche market. Like napoleonics.
Hyogai
corporal

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 pm

FoW and BA are very different beasts. Scale aside, BA generally has much smaller forces on the table (basically a platoon plus a few adhoc supports, while FoW is more like a company. FoW is more detailed, BA more abstract. FoW is essentially IGOUGO, BA has a chit-based activation system (that is where the unique dice are used).

I do think FoW has a bigger player base than BA in Jozi (not sure, but interweb chatter certainly reflects that), but this is reversed in the Cape. There are many many other WW2 rulesets that bring different sorts of games to the table. In the Cape, for example, Rapid Fire is played a lot.

I dont think either are particularly money-beardy (except maybe at the top echelons of competitive play) but there are certainly some forces that require, shall we say, more care (?), to play, than others. But I think that afflicts every single historical game, and in the historical context it can be harder to fix - Italian tanks dont suddenly become better in a new edition of WW2...

Again, I must reiterate that in ALL scales from 6mm to 54mm, you have a boatload of miniature manufactures of WW2 figures, and there is NOTHING restricting yourself just to using kits supplied by the publisher of your rules of choice. (Indeed, many WW2 rules publishers dont sell figures, and many figure manufactures dont sell rules.) If Battlefront prices are the thing that is causing you stress, have a look at Plastic Soldier Company, and/or the Westwind Forged in Battle range. Try Peter Pig for 15mm vehicles.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Hyogai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 pm

Peter Pig, eh?

Where's my Google...

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've PM'd Bruce to hear what he has to say, I know he's heavily into the historics.
Hyogai
corporal

Return to Bolt Action