Muskets and Tomahawks

Chat about all historical games that don't have their own forum sections.

Muskets and Tomahawks

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 am

Here be some pix from a recent Muskets and Tomahawks game played by the lads at PWG. Set in the French and Indian Wars, there were 4 commands: the Huron command was tasked with burning the 3 American buildings; while their Canadian militia ally attempted to inflict maximum casualties on the defenders; the defenders were American provincial troops; and a small force of British regulars. Played out in 4 turns to a formal draw (in terms of games scoring) but in truth an effective Canadian/Huron victory: the Huron had torched 2 out of 3 buildings, and the Canadian irregulars had inflicted fearsome casualties on the British, but they didn't have a hope of getting the last building burnt.

Muskets and Tomahawks is an excellent ruleset that does very well to capture the essence of the asymmetrical conflicts of the FIW and AWI. Easily translatable to many similar colonial conflicts, up until muskets were replaced by breechloaders. (And beyond, with additonal rules for the later weapons.)
Last edited by Golf Alpha Zulu on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Re: Muskets and Tomahawks

Postby DaImp » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:47 pm

lovely :)
What models are you using?
Jonathan Merry
Warhammer Generals head honcho

Check out my WHFB 3rd Edition blog: http://oldhammergenerals.blogspot.com
DaImp
general

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:04 pm

I dont know for sure, as not a single model on the table is from my collection :oops: . Figures came from the collections of 3 other club members.

That said, I think the Huron are from Conquest/Warlord, and the majority of the rest from Redoubt and Foundry/Perry. I have a decent force of Canadian militia and Huron braves, and civilians for both, all currently unpainted, and they are a mix of Galloping Major and Redoubt.

I can recommend Galloping Major - great sculpts, quality casting.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:08 am

The Governor would not countenance an attack on an Englishman's farm, and organised an immediate response - to destroy the nearest Huron settlement. A detachment of Rangers was sent up to Emmer's Farm to lead the raid, and crown silver convinced some local Mohawk to join the forces. (Ie: we played the same scenario as last week, but flipped it around with the British as attackers, and tweaked the forces somewhat...)

Huron gather to protect their settlement...

Their Canadian allies form a skirmish line behind the settlement...

Coureur des Bois take advantage of their bushcraft...

Local American militia hold their nerve in the face of a Huron charge (but it didn't end well for the militia)...

Mohawk and Rangers get amongst the longhouses...

With this game, we added "sideplots" to the objectives - each officer was randomly assigned a narrative secondary objective, which could be used as a tiebreaker, if achieved. The Canadian militia officer managed to demonstrate his courage to his men, by advancing in the vanguard to well within musket range of the enemy... and surviving. When the game ended, neither side had a decisive victory, but the sideplot point scored by the Canadians swung the game to the narrowest of victories.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby DaImp » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:18 am

Really enjoying these pics. The terrain is great, makes a huge difference in the atmosphere and believability of the game.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

:)
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby DaImp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Where did you get the longhouses from? They look perfect for some SAGA games too.
Jonathan Merry

DaImp
general

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:25 pm

They are from Acheson Creations:

http://www.achesoncreations.com

Part of the "American Frontier" range...

For Saga, 4ground make some reasonably-priced MDF Saxon and Viking buildings...
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Return to Other Historical games