Has anybody here tried resin casting?

a place to chat about miniatures, show off conversions and paint schemes and anything else miniature related

Has anybody here tried resin casting?

Postby geekgrrrl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:46 am

I've tried my hand at sculpting in green stuff a bit, and I want to try reproducing one of my models that I actually really like. I've read up a fair bit on resin casting, and I think I get the gist of it, but as with most things, the trick is to match local products up to what people talk about on forums in the UK or US. I've found a local company, AMT composites, who sell resins & silicones to the VFX industry, but they have such a dizzying variety of products that I have no idea where to start. Anybody here have experience with this?
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Re: Has anybody here tried resin casting?

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:35 am

Yes, but nothing as fiddly as a figure.

In my experience, the staff at AMT are both helpful and experienced, and will give you good advice. For what its worth, for casting terrain pieces I use the harder of the Moldmax silicones, and the F180 Fastcast resin, but I think for figures you might need a resin with a lower viscosity, both to degas more effectively and to flow into the detail of the figure more effectively.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby geekgrrrl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks so much for the feedback GAZ. Especially for the specific product knowledge. Worth many gold. ^_^

I emailed the owner at AMT CT yesterday, and I'll add your comments to the follow-up. Hopefully with your experience in mind he'll be able to give some good feedback. I'll share whatever advice he gives back here for anybody who's feeling adventurous.
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby Hiddenfan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm using Amsil25 as my silicone
and F180 as my resin
and a mould release "easy release 200"

they the cheapest, i think, but they do the job quite nicely. and you gonna need to practice, i'l move on to the fancy stuff when i've improved some!
“I have little doubt that when St. George had killed the dragon he was heartily afraid of the princess.” – Chesterton
Hiddenfan
private

Postby burstear » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:59 pm

i use technoresin they in bokburg i think. any way i always order my siliconeand ctatlyst from them, as well as my fast cast resin.

i have molded....
ageis defence line
ork baricade
necron tomb blades
deathmarks
dark eldar mandrakes
ork grots
night scythe
space marine attack bike
forge world scout bikes
anihilation barges
building walls
buidling floors
special weaons sprue (melta gun, flamer plasma missle launcher)

i cast heaps, i mean half my cron army is resin cast while the origianl models are all in a box.
either way
try technoesin.co.za they cheap and will courrier out to u, i usually buy 1kg silione with 10ml catalyst and 1 litter resin part A and 1 littlre part B (bassicaly resin+harderner)
Nationals 2012 (W3-L2-D0) 11th***Mayhem &Carnage 2013 (W4-L1-D0) 3rd***Thug 2013 (W3-L1-D0) 2nd***Thugcon 2013 (W3-L0-D1) 1st***G2C2 2014 (W5-L0-D0) 1st
burstear
general

Return to Miniatures