Warlord Games Miniatures, what are they like?

a place to chat about miniatures, show off conversions and paint schemes and anything else miniature related

Warlord Games Miniatures, what are they like?

Postby TheFool144 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

I am curious about Warlord Games miniatures. I only know Games Workshop miniatures to be honest and would like to know if anyone has some opinions on Warlord Games miniatures. Especially the plastic kits.

Thanks

The Fool
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Kong Fuzi
"I have papers proving my sanity." - Eugene
"To become truly wise, you have to believe that you know nothing." - The Fool
TheFool144
corporal

Re: Warlord Games Miniatures, what are they like?

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:22 pm

What sort of era/game you looking at?

The plastic they use will be familiar - the same softish grey plastic as GW - easy to work, but not as hard as say Tamiya or Dragon. If you like GW you might find them a bit low on fussy detail.

In my experience:

WW2 plastic figures good to excellent. Early releases a bit fiddly, later releases quicker to build. The plastic vehicles vary in quality. Some are brilliant. Some have softish detail. All are super quick to build, and are true wargames models - i.e. fussy detail left off to make them robust.WW2 metals = excellent. Ditto for resins, except some of the softskins that are cast from masters bought from a third party.

Gates of Antares - not a huge fan of the aesthetic, but the plastic kits are neat and easy to build.

Test of Honor - plastics are very rigid in their poses, and fiddly to build. Difficult to get convincing figures for the skirmish game level, but fine for ranked armies. Metals are excellent.

Black Powder - plastics OK, metals better. Plastics ok for ranked armies.

Hail Ceasar - plastics OK, metals better. Plastics ok for ranked/massed armies.

They bought a bunch of masters/moulds from Wargames Factory, and generally the WF-originated plastics are fiddly and rigidly posed, but the later WF releases are good - for e.g.: the generic modern forces, the zombie apocalypse survivors.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby geekgrrrl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 pm

I have some of their Ancients (Celts and Romans) and some sprues from the Terminator Genesys range. I really like the Ancients minis - they are really nice sculpts, have plenty of extra bits for customization and are really good value for money. They are a bit more realistically proportioned than GW minis, which I like, but that's more of personal thing.

The Terminator minis are not as good, but the individual sprues are really cheap. The Terminators are decent sculpts, but very static - I reposed some of them using plastic glue. The human resistance fighters aren't great, but good enough to serve as random mercs or corporate security or such, which is what I got them for for Infinity - speaking of which, that's the scale they are in.

I've included a couple of pics. Hope it helps.

Celts

Roman Praetorians

Terminators

Human Resistance

Comparison

Pictured (from left to right): 3rd edition Space Marine, AoS Warrior of Khorne, Infinity Fusilier, Terminator Genesys Terminators, Terminator Genesys Resistance, Hail Caesar Celts, AoS Stormcast, AoS Blood Warrior

Keep in mind that the Age of Sigmar humans are slightly larger and more realistically scaled than 40k humans, which I don't have any of. The Warlord humans are close enough in scale that I have considered building an imperial guard squad out of them to make space marines and the other factions seem larger against them, but that is a project for a future time.
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby Maverik115 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:33 am

Most of them are quite good.
Some of their earlier stuff is a bit hit or miss.
Let a wave of repugnance for the enemy wash over you. Let hatred fill you. Hate is good, for our goal is a Human galaxy. We are called by the Emperor with a sacred duty to conquer it in His name.
Maverik115
major

Postby TheFool144 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of getting Frostgrave Barbarians to use as Marauders of Chaos. But it'll cost me the same as getting ten Knights of Chaos, so I have shelved the idea for now.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Kong Fuzi
TheFool144
corporal

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Ah ok. Frostgrave figures are from Northstar Military Figures. Warlord sells them, but has nothing to do with the design and production, as far as I am aware.

I dont have any of the plastics, but the Frostgrave metal sculpts are brilliant.
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Postby TheFool144 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

@Golf Alpha Zulu, thanks, the sprues looked so much similar to the Pike and Shotte miniatures that I had assumed they were the same guys. Shieldwolf miniatures also look cool. They support the Ninth Age system as well, for anyone missing movement trays...
TheFool144
corporal

Postby geekgrrrl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 am

TheFool144 wrote:@Golf Alpha Zulu, thanks, the sprues looked so much similar to the Pike and Shotte miniatures that I had assumed they were the same guys. Shieldwolf miniatures also look cool. They support the Ninth Age system as well, for anyone missing movement trays...

You'll probably find that a lot of the smaller minis companies in the UK use an injection moulding company called Renedra to help design and produce their model ranges, hence the similarity between those ranges. Shieldwolf, Perry, Gripping Beast and Conquest Games all use Renedra. Don't know if Warlord also uses them, but it's a good bet that, even if they don't, they probably have some of the same sculptors and fabricators on board.

http://www.renedra.co.uk/index.php
geekgrrrl
lieutenant

Postby Golf Alpha Zulu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 am

In the early days of Warlord, most of their stuff was done by Renedra, and a lot still is. But they have greater diversity of suppliers now - the ex-WF stuff comes from China, some vehicles masters came from PSC (scaled up 15 and 20mm masters), and some come from their collaboration with Italeri (Italian plamodel manufacturer). Also, Warlord often buy up other manufacturers ranges, and then either repurpose the figures (e.g. WF for Project Z, WF for Test of Honor, Saxon Miniatures for HC) or fill in the gaps in the ranges (e.g. original Bolt Action).
Golf Alpha Zulu
sergeant

Return to Miniatures