[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - Pure speculation discussion

Pure speculation discussion

a place to talk about Warhammer Fantasy

Re: Pure speculation discussion

Postby und_ed » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:25 pm

I always bought the new shinies (well, most of them). Daemons came out, I bought skullcannons, I bought Fateweaver, a new burning chariot...

Tomb kings came out I bought snake-knights, stalkers, sphinxes...

The only time I didn't buy cool new stuff was when GW was too stupid to actually sell it (like the Hierotitan, which I then scratch-built since there was no model to buy).

This, incidentally, is the huge flaw in the "old players never buy stuff" theory - if you make the new stuff worthwhile (without pissing off your player-base buy just making the new shinies overpowered), your existing player-base happily buy new toys. This is a business model that PP have mastered - every army gets a small influx of new shinies every year. The metagame shifts, but isn't completely wrecked, and existing players that enjoy the game support the hobby and the company by buying, and their enthusiasm drives the game forward with the player-base eagerly promoting the game to new players. Often for variety those old players even branch out into entirely new factions / armies, again driving new waves of purchases.

It's not a novel approach, it's not groundbreaking - they retain customers through good service and by delivering consistently high quality across the product line (by this I mean service to customers, actual model quality and maintaining a good environment to play with those models). Some might even think this was the front page in "baby's first business", and yet it seems to be a recipe that still eludes GW.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby nicktee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:58 am

IRONCOW - where condensed milk comes from
nicktee
brigadier-general

Postby Baldrick » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 pm

"What we got here is a failure to communicate".....Ordo Hereticus
Baldrick
general

Postby Doc Rot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Why does everyone hate Eswex
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Dark Angel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:43 pm

What is this Esswex to whom you are referring?
I spend most of my money on Warhammer and games, the rest is just wasted.

Eli "Dragon Slayer" Golovey
Dark Angel
WHG Lawman

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 am

Asseex then
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby nicktee » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:38 am

Just a quick thought with regards to the idea that removing (or significantly downsizing) fantasy in order to 'free up' shelf space for more 40K just seems so short sighted - If your local supermarket sells more tea than coffee - removing the coffee to give the tea more facings on shelf may sell a little more tea but the coffee drinkers will simply buy their coffee elsewhere. I'm a 40K player but I understand that for many the fantasy world is far more compelling. Also note the bookshelves at your local Exclusive Books you will notice a dearth of SF and a plethora of fantasy books. So fantasy is going extremely well and has done so for the last 15 years,... So why nerf a product with a potentially significantly sized market? :wtf:
IRONCOW - where condensed milk comes from
nicktee
brigadier-general

Postby und_ed » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 am

Like I said earlier, I don't think they're trying to alienate the Fantasy market - I think they're just so out of touch with their market that they truly believe Robin Hood Marines are actually catering to the fantasy market.
Coprophilia - it's a dirty business, but at least it's better than staring at Dark Angel across the table.
-Ed.
und_ed
Lover of all things elvish

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:47 am

So why nerf a product with a potentially significantly sized market? :wtf:[/quote]

My son, my son, I've said this before. Your logic doesn't work here. No amount of logic works when it comes to GW decisions. It's run by people with papers but fokol passion, actual knowledge, let alone any form of sensibility.

I'll give you a solution, a la GW's own top decision making protocols:

Roll a D6 for your answer:

1: Pull the plug on one army or codex.
2: Make a slightly different scale of models for an upcoming movie franchise
3: We're the best, why try anymore, fans will continue donating their money to us irrespective
4: The eye of the gods is closed, go for a nice cuppa with the lads
5: Khorne is angry, make more khorne sculpts
6: Release a press statement, our fans aren't intelligent so we can say whatever we like, they won't get it.

There ya go. Make choices like a pro.
I have this disease called "Awesome".
You wouldn't understand because you don't have it.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Doc Rot » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:52 am

You forgot .
If you roll two consecutive 1's scrap random gaming system. See Man o war, necromunda etc for details
Doc Rot
brigadier-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 am

Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

Postby Baldrick » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:32 am

"What we got here is a failure to communicate".....Ordo Hereticus
Baldrick
general

Postby Alqualonde » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am

Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Postby Alqualonde » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 am

Eca a mitta lambetya cendelesse orcova
Alqualonde
lieutenant-general

Postby Captain Sensible » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:49 am

The prices are one thing, and its a big thing. But I gotta say, being constantly harassed by the owner for 20 years to buy some 40k crap when I expressly made it clear I wasn't buying any got on my sodding nerves. I don't like repeating myself.

Must admit though, when I made the decision to start my marines army and I walked in and got the usual "What are you buying today?" And I said give me some space marines, the dude shat himself. He just said okay, if you don't want any help kinda thing. Only after I'd paid for the stuff did he finally realise I wasn't kidding.

My biggest peeve with them was when I wanted to place an order. They gave me a price, it wasn't the end of the world so I said go ahead and order it. When I got there it was avery different price, almost double. I said this isn't the price we spoke about, and the oke did the typical south african merchant thing of saying "You can blame the greek for that. He changed the shipping method." I'll never understand this place's obsession with passing blame. No wonder they can't do much.
Captain Sensible
lieutenant-general

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Fantasy chat